General

metabolically Healthy Obese = Fit and Fat!

Created by:

6 Aug 2016 - General

I came across with this new concept of metabolically healthy obese patients who are actually fit with lower risks of developing cardiovascular disease despite the higher amount of body fat in contrast to the metabolically "unhealthy" population at risk for developing diabetes, dyslipidemia and cardiovascular diseases.

However, the definition of being metabolically healthy (benign obesity?) seems to still be very vague. Also, the criteria how to differentiate a metabolically healthy vs unhealthy individual is quite confusing to me. Controversial as it may sound, I would like to believe that such concept is true... (or I'm just looking for a scientific excuse? Haha!) and that people like me can be healthy despite being overweight/obese. 

Francis Amba: It is quite interesting, none the less, about this phenotype. It does seem though that with external factors at play MHOs will convert in time. We discussed on a MIMS article here recently entitled "BMI controversy: “Overweight” might be the healthiest weight" in this topic link: (https://community.mims.com/general/10763/bmi-controversy-overweight-might-be-the-healthiest-weight) and we more...
 (Total 109 words)
metabolically healthy obese patients---I have encountered "healthy" obese patients in terms of their lab results as cholesterol, uric acid, glucose and the sort were all within in normal range. They may just have good genes as well to keep them from having the mentioned chronic diseases. Being obese gives us the go signal to further investigate for any co-morbids. Though these patients may be metabolically healthy the heavy weight is not healthy as joints are wearing out as too much st...
 (Total 117 words)
Hi guys, it really is an interesting topic. I encountered it during the CODE (Controversies in Obesity, Diabetes and Endocrinology) talk a while ago. The format of the talk is actually a debate and one of the topics is the "relatively new" and "controversial" MHO (Metabolically Healthy Obese). As discussed, it was proposed to be a subset of obese population whose phenotype are different with most obese persons in that they have no metabolic derangements in terms of lipid lev...
 (Total 223 words)
That claim is difficult to prove. Is there a way to objectively measure a person’s metabolic activity that is both practical and reproducible? If there is none, then how can we define if someone is metabolically healthy? Also, diabetes, dyslipidemia and cardiovascular diseases are multifactorial. Unless all these factors were taken into consideration, then a researcher cannot conclude that “metabolically healthy obese patients who are actually fit with lower risks of developing cardiovascular d...
 (Total 142 words)
Francis Amba: This is indeed very puzzling. You must be really good at handling stress that is why you have normal physical and ancillary results :D I have encountered quite a handful of patients who are on the healthy side but have normal blood pressure and metabolic panel results. On the other hand, I have seen a lot of hypertensive gym rats as well. Clinically, it is a common mistake to use body mass index for ...
 (Total 135 words)