General
Could cancer be an evolutionary mechanism to autocorrect our gene pool?

Could cancer be an evolutionary mechanism to autocorrect our gene pool?

Shared by:

A new study identifies cancer as an apoptosis that safeguards the integrity of the human population, where mutated DNA are killed off in order to be removed from the gene pool.

today.mims.com

6 Aug 2016 - General

Mark Edmon Tan I think we don't have an oncologist in the community as of the moment. I think what the article is trying to say is that Cancer preserves the good genes by killing of people with "bad genes", something to that effect. Nevertheless, I still don't agree with the radicalized thought of it, because no matter how these scientists try to sugarcoat it, it is a disease that we have to cir...
 (Total 78 words)
Don't we have stop codons, namely UGA, UAG, and UAA, to stop defective genes from proliferating? If cancer is programmed to stop defective genes from being passed on, then why does it occur more often in children and beyond reproductive years (age groups that do not participate in procreation) ? Cancer causes proliferation of defective DNA strands as well; hence, I don't think it is part of programmed cell death to prevent overpopulation. Death in the form of various illnesses is the hum...
 (Total 108 words)
I know. This article is trying to revolutionize cancer in a some sophisticated packaging. And then the article says, “cancer could be the final checkpoint, a nature's law that prevents complex living beings from living forever”. I don't really understand what it's trying to say, because the way I read it is, it's justifying the fact that no true cure is found yet by saying we might become immortal without this CHECKPOINT. People die of different diseases every day, not just cance...
 (Total 132 words)
How can a cancer be an “apoptosis that safeguards the integrity of the human population, where damaged or mutated DNA are killed off in order to be removed from the genetic pool”? Cancer cells have dysregulated apoptotic mechanisms, which enables cells to multiply in a dysregulated manner. Also, while some types of cancer have genetic predispositions, cancer can be caused by other factors such as environmental exposure etc. The development of an evolutionary mechanism usually confers an evolutio...
 (Total 120 words)