General
Scientists have found a woman whose eyes have a whole new type of colour receptor

Scientists have found a woman whose eyes have a whole new type of colour receptor

Shared by:

After more than 25 years of searching, neuroscientists in the UK recently announced that they've discovered a woman who has an extra type of cone cell - the receptor cells that detect colour - in her eyes.

www.sciencealert.com

7 Aug 2016 - General

Maria Cristina Inserto As soon as the child is able to tell colours apart, you should run this experiment on him/her and if he/she does have the fourth receptor you're going to be the aunt of world's second recorded child with gifted eyes! And can you imagine the posibities. You can take him/her with you when you go shopping because he/she will be able to pick the best looking clothes or jewelerries. Compa...
 (Total 99 words)
Wow! Sadly my dad is not color blind, so I don't have the fourth cone. but WOOOOW! This is a amazing. I love colors. I grew up to Lisa Frank and I love how colors mix and blend--to paint pictures. I would love to see the world from a tetrachromat's point of view. I would love to see what other colors they can see. One hundred million colors--oh my! I, actually have a cousin who is color blind and he's getting married soon. His mom has passed away, but I hope I get a niece from him ve...
 (Total 118 words)
This is part of an evolutionary process.There remains a cultural factor in colour perception. Everyone learns to perceive and to talk about those colour a spectrum of colour that its speakers learn to see, mentally filtering out or blending together other colour or variations. One of the perceptual differences between speakers of African, Asian, Europeans remains that of colour. This fact may help to explain, in part, why polychromatic individuals tend not to perceive the colour that their eyes ...
 (Total 83 words)
Wow! It is amazing that the human eye can detect 1 million shades of color and this woman can detect 100 million colors. She may have viewed the world in high definition way before those television sets became the trend. Unfortunately for her, the world's art and structures have been designed in the eyes of trichromats. Hence, she has not truly appreciated her gift because the colors she sees are very limited. I hope her field of specialty is pathology where she could help in designing new s...
 (Total 129 words)
Scientists claim that they have finally found a woman, after a 25 year long search, who has an extra type of cone cell in her retina in addition to the three types that are known to exist in the human eye. Each cone cell can differentiate about 100 shades so a regular eye can see only 1 million colours and if we do the math with 4 cone cells this woman can see extra 99 millions colours that we can't see! Imagine watching an Ultra high definition 4K television and being able to see differentl...
 (Total 103 words)