General
These 14 supplement ingredients pose serious risk to your health

These 14 supplement ingredients pose serious risk to your health

Shared by:

Almost everyone we know consumes some kind of supplement to provide additional nutrients as their diet is lacking or to prevent vitamin deficiencies that can contribute to chronic conditions. Supplements are popular and are often touted for their benefits.

today.mims.com

8 Aug 2016 - General

Such incidences scream out a need for supplements to be more regulated. A lot of these really do not state each and every ingredient, much more the amounts. I once read that an independent company in the US studied several brands of food supplements and found out that a lot of them contain traces of steroids, drugs, and other chemicals not found in the labels. Additionally, though there may be some studies to support such health claims, they sill aren;t enought to assure that the supplements are...
 (Total 156 words)
Oh my the last part was the article is disturbing. Imagine just finding out that your liver has shut down--and you thought you were just making yourself look good. But you know, there are so many "supplements" being sold around and its hard to know which one to believe. As a matter of fact there this "supplement" that's being given to doctors in the multispecialty clinic I work at and I always give it to the other dentist because he likes it. I don't know. I take the ...
 (Total 196 words)
Supplements that promote promises that are too-good-to-be-true often contain hidden ingredients. Body-building powder supplements usually do not declare contents such as steroids, caffeine, testosterone, or ephedra/ephedrine. It is no coincidence that acne breakouts often occur with use of these products. One friend once showed me a "fat-burner" supplement that he claimed was really working wonders for him. My eyes popped when I saw the main ingredient was L-thyroxine that explained dr...
 (Total 170 words)
A drug undergoes a pre-clinical and clinical process before it is approved for use by the general public. Preclinical process includes drug development, animal testing, Investigational New Drug Application, then it moves to Clinical Process where it undergoes 4 more Phases until it is approved. (For specific steps, refer to http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/UCM284393.pdf). It is a long and arduous process, but it is necessary. What the general public does not know is t...
 (Total 129 words)
Somehow I feel that herbal products became more of a placebo to most people compared to the benefits it give. Because honestly, when you eat right and exercise, all the needed nutrition of the body are met. Why go for the capsulated kind of herbs or plant when it is readily accesible in the backyard or the market? What's worst is when they use herbal supplements as a medication for their illness. Even though you try to explain how it does not provide therapeutic effect, patients can sometim...
 (Total 103 words)
This always comes back to the phrase "just because its natural/herbal does not make it safe". People need to be wary of the products with the label that reads "with no therapeutics claims" as the manufacturer is trying to be hands off when it comes to the consumer not getting what they believe the product claims to be able to provide. Food itself can cause interactions with medications taken which would mean supplements are capable of doing the same. More patient education on...
 (Total 90 words)
It is a quite common practice of buying and consuming nutrition supplements, in order to replace the deficient nutrient. Nutrition supplements can be easily accessible through the health shops. However, the supply of supplements on the market is not well regulated. There are no substantial evidence or background research to support their use. And most importantly, those products can have adverse effects on our health, and potentially interact with the medications that we took. The common potent...
 (Total 119 words)
Don't overlook the benefits of FDA approved drugs. They save millions of lives every year. Yes there are trade-offs and side effects but benefits outweigh the risks. FDA approves drugs that have fatal side effects DESPITE all their so-called regulations and testing. Supplements are not pharmaceutical products... they are an extension of our food products system. Food products are known not to be safe for consumers, should they be regulated by the FDA? Please compare health related incident...
 (Total 128 words)