General

How to stay active with the kids?

Created by:

8 Aug 2016 - General

1. Have a weekly sports night.

Every Wednesday, for example, get everyone up and moving. One game to play is the fit-deck shuffle. Create a series of playing cards featuring family-friendly exercises, such as bear-crawling or ape-walking. Each family member picks a card and performs the exercise pictured until all the cards have been dealt. 

2. Planking

Put your elbows on the floor, raise up on the tips of your toes, and keep your back straight and your abs tight in a line. Hold that position  as long as you can. 30 seconds is pretty good if your kids can hold it that long.  

3. Butterfly Kicks

Lie on your back. Keeping your abs tight, raise your feet just barely off the floor and flutter-kick them. This one makes my girls giggle, which then makes their abs loosey-goosey, which makes it hard for them to do the exercise. But it’s fun all the same.

4. Walk or run for charity.

Model the value of exercise -- and of giving back to society -- by teaming up with your children for a fund-raising race. 

5. Walk the dog

Take the dog for a walk. If you don't have one of your own, ask to borrow a neighbour's or friend's dog and take it for a walk.

6. Get on wheels 

Go roller skating, rollerblading or skateboarding, indoors or outside. In winter, go ice skating. Kids also love scooters.

7. Work together in the yard

Raking leaves, planting flowers, trimming trees. After raking them into piles, give the kids child-sized rakes so they can help and have fun jumping in them, or take turns completely covering one another in leaves.

I have a favorite couple friend who has two kids, a girl and a boy. Initially, it was just the husband who is a triathlete, but a few years ago my friends and I organized this "Biggest Loser" competition so we would be motivated to shake off all the holiday weight a healthy way. Anyway, that was maybe 3 years ago and since then we've all remained quite "healthy" in a sense and she started running with her husband. After that he bought her a bike and now she's training...
     (Total 185 words)
    "If the parents are physically active, the child will be encouraged to be active."- Most definitely Mark Edmon Tan! Most kids are just glued to their smart phones, tablets, computers or consoles nowadays that they hardly step out and get some Vitamin D. This is why the people who create games are coming up with ways to get the kids moving i.e. Pokemon Go. Like the saying "monkey see, monkey do"...
     (Total 129 words)
    Sometimes in our busy schedule we tend to forget the slightest things in life that makes us happy. That is why they created tablets -- for the kids to play with while we are busy. Haha..
    But these are just a few activities that you can start doing with your kids in the mean time while you dig out their favorite sports and probably start doing that with them. I have a friend who tired many sports with his 7 year old son until they found wake-boarding fun and enjoyable. The son enjoys the wate...
     (Total 139 words)
    In the time of tablets and smartphones, you can never be more timely with this article Alan Rosmadi . Thank you for coming up with this article. Active fun with children is very important because they see parents as their role models. If the parents are physically active, the child will be encouraged to be active. I am a parent of two beautiful daughters and my wife and I try to play with them as much as we can. ...
     (Total 118 words)