General

Adapting to changes

Created by:

9 Aug 2016 - General

• Don’t expect something to last forever

The term BFF (best friend forever) has become part of our everyday lingo. The reality, however, is that not everything can or does last forever. The individuals who can accept this reality are far more flexible and easygoing, while those who cannot are much more easily broken down and more afraid of losing what they have. Since at least some change is inevitable, it is better to be aware that not everything can last and to instead appreciate what you have when you have it.

• Recognize that change does happen

Denying that change is or will be occurring, and continuing to live in the past, only makes things more difficult. The more we understand that change will happen, the less upset and surprised we will be when we encounter that change.

• Count on yourself above all else

Every one of us has been betrayed or let down in the past. A mentor passes away, a trusted co-worker moves onto another career opportunity, friends go in their separate directions. The only reliable person in life is you. When you encounter the stress of change, remember that just like the animals, we too can adapt in order to thrive in our own natural habitats, that are constantly shifting, transforming, and changing in all different directions.

• Communicate with others

Communications is always important, but especially so when you face change. A lack of communications from others can have a negative impact, while effective communications can have a positive one. Part of the fear of change involves dealing with the unknown. If possible, try to minimize this factor by talking to others who have undergone such a change.  Your communications should involve more than just people in your own department or company. They should involve people in other companies as well. 

• Be flexible

Change requires flexibility. The better able you are to adapt to change, the greater your chances of being successful. Maybe your current job doesn't fit exactly into it. However, what skills, from your old role,can you apply to the new situation? In other words, instead of focusing on differences, focus on similarities.

• See the big picture

Change can be frightening, and disruptive. However, with the right attitude and actions, you can find opportunities in that change.

Charles Darwin once said, “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” This quotation is more than 2 centuries old, but it still holds true until today. Everything changes and we have to adapt to it, no matter how difficult it is. Of course we want everything to be steady, but this can become tiresome and boring too. Change enables us to make the best of what we have, and what we do not have. The more pliant an individua...
 (Total 117 words)
I have always been uncomfortable about change, be it good or bad. Deviating from things that one is comfortable with can take a lot of effort, but everything gets better with time and effort. I also found out that resisting change is pointless and can be detrimental to one’s career. One must adapt to the speedily changing times to keep up with one’s profession and to better one’s craft. For me, adapting to various changes in life greatly depended on my beliefs and faith. I am a Christian and it ...
 (Total 117 words)