General
Are costly superfoods worth their hype?

Are costly superfoods worth their hype?

Shared by:

The superfoods trend has been catching on in the past decade. They have been touted as being highly beneficial in the prevention of chronic conditions, slowing the ageing process and promoting weight loss. As the public’s interest in it continues to grow, we examine some key questions to separate fact from fiction.

today.mims.com

9 Aug 2016 - General

The human gut can only absorb so much. The body is designed to take only what it needs and anything in excess is either metabolized or excreted. As a healthcare professional, healthy consumption of food means adequate in caloric content and nutritional value, that is free from chemical or genetic manipulation. The last clause of my definition is hard to monitor for the average individual because the consumption of organic food has become an expensive and scarce commodity. What's more readily...
 (Total 145 words)
One basic principle for good nutrition: " A colorful plate will ensure adequate nutrition." Following the food pyramid guide for us healthcare workers will be enough. There is no need to spend a fortune on foods that are basically the same as their marketplace counterparts. I do not think that a regular and an astrologically-farmed egg will differ in terms of biological value of protein. I can only think of one group of people who might benefit from the superfoods - elite athletes. In...
 (Total 115 words)
I think a lot of these are going a bit over the top (astrologically-farmed eggs??), except for coconut oil and Brussels sprouts. I think that as long as you know the right foods to eat in the right proportions, and incorporate lots of veggies and fruits into your diet, you’ll be fine. Though a lot of the hype about such foods are believable, and sure, they may really help the immune system fight disease in the long run, I think a lot of the compounds resent in veggies and fruits can also do the ...
 (Total 143 words)
I think it all boils down to whether you make healthy food choices or not. There are a lot of healthy food, that are not superfoods, and then there are superfood choices that are more affordable and readily available. If you have money to spare for the "very costly" superfood then by all means, go. I think these things just came into being because there is a "hipster" market for it (please, no offense). There are people who buy stuff that sound complicated and sophisticated--...
 (Total 184 words)
I think it all boils down to whether you make healthy food choices or not. There are a lot of healthy food, that are not superfoods, and then there are superfood choices that are more affordable and readily available. If you have money to spare for the "very costly" superfood then by all means, go. I think these things just came into being because there is a "hipster" market for it (please, no offense). There are people who buy stuff that sound complicated and sophisticated--...
 (Total 184 words)