General
10 'Barbaric' Medical Treatments That Are Still Used Today

10 'Barbaric' Medical Treatments That Are Still Used Today

Shared by:

From blood-letting, a life-saving hemochromatosis treatment, to leeches, a surgical aid, these ‘barbaric’ medical treatments are still used today.

www.livescience.com

9 Aug 2016 - General

I had a first hand experience watching a ECT being conducted on a severely depressed patient who had been doing ECTs for the past 20 years of his lifetime. It is not that pleasant to look at but it is a good experience which then made me left psychiatry :) and moved on to emergency medicine. Leeches are still seen in Malaysia but it was not done by a qualified doctor. Well, i am not sure if it should be but it was done in a pharmacy like shop houses where they have dozens of glass bottles half f...
 (Total 172 words)
I haven't seen anyone in the hospital use maggots or leeches in the Philippines. Use of medical leeches was previously popular in the provinces for treating "blood infections". I feel that lobotomy is quite an invasive procedure for obsessive-compulsive disorder. I think that psychotherapy would really help in this illness. I have heard that deep brain stimulation is now being used for removal of tics but have not personally witnessed one. ECTs are also used more frequently in the ...
 (Total 115 words)
Venesection / therapeutic phlebotomy or as described in the article as Bloodletting is quite commonly done in our hospitals. I myself have done it on a number of patients and I don't feel like it is barbaric at all. It's just like drawing blood out for an investigation. It's just that we take out a few hundred extra milliliters of blood. :) Electroconvulsive therapy is also nowadays practiced more frequently as a last resort to treat treatment resistant psychiatric disorders. Bees, M...
 (Total 104 words)
I must say, there probably won't be an alternative to trephination / trepanning. It is really quite barbaric because if the patien's head is not affixed to a 3-point fixation system, an assistant must grip the head steadily to prevent it from rocking back and forth while being trephined. Although high-speed drills are becoming increasingly popular. However, the expense of the equipment limits its utility. Most hospitals in the Philippines still use the classic trephine. In our local prac...
 (Total 107 words)