General

Gallbladder removal tied to increased risk of peptic ulcers

Created by:

9 Aug 2016 - General

http://news.mims.com/topic/gallbladder-removal-tied-to-increased-risk-of-peptic-ulcers

This is an interesting study. However, I think it will be best if the following factors were considered in the study: the type of surgery (laparoscopic vs open cholecystectomy), how soon diet was resumed, patient tolerance to the diet, presence of a prior peptic ulcer disease, previous history of H.pylori disease. If these factors were taken in to consideration, researchers investigate an association between the specific type of surgery, diet resumption, tolerance and the development of peptic ulcer disease. Then they can make recommendations, when and why PUD prophylaxis is indicated. For future investigations, aside from what I have already mentioned, H. pylori testing prior and after the surgery will add additional information to the development of PUD post cholecystectomy.

*Sorry I couldn't share the URL the usual way. There seems to be an error whenever I try to. 

Marinelle Castro , I agree with you. The study was lacking those variables. Duodenogastric relfux might be a plausible theory on the relationship between peptic ulcer disease and cholecystectomy; however, the investigators did not mention a previous history of ulcer. Also, there was no mention of what type of pain relievers they prescribed postoperatively. Non-selective NSAIDs use may contribute to bleeding ulcer...
 (Total 75 words)