General
The evolution of wisdom teeth

The evolution of wisdom teeth

Shared by:

Most everyone has experienced sudden, excruciating pain at the back of the mouth that is more than an ordinary toothache. That pain is often attributed to excess molars, known as wisdom teeth.

today.mims.com

10 Aug 2016 - General

I'm no dentist but as a medical staff, the one solid reason is Evolution. The size and muscles of our jaws have adapted to chewing of not so hard food over time. In old days, people used to eat a lot of all those raw stuff that are hard and needs chewing in order to get digested. Slowly, we adapted to a fast food culture, where the food is made soft before consuming through cooking, baking or whatever. Problems with wisdom teeth generally happen after humans are old enough to make babies, th...
 (Total 110 words)
I wonder where my wisdom teeth are. I just counted my teeth and apparently my lower two wisdom teeth are missing! I hope it is not another disaster waiting to happen! I haven't had an issue with those yet but I have heard how much of a pain it can be. So can't we do something for this problem before it really becomes a problem.Like getting an Xray done at a certain age and if the tooth seem to be growing out-of-place, would there be a way to make it grow back in the right direction? I do...
 (Total 108 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Thanks for the inputs doctor. Now knowing more about this makes me even more nervous. Actually half of my wisdom teeth is kinda visible now. Last month when the other one was extracted, I can hear those cracking sounds and made me really nervous. My blood pressure gone up from 90/60 to 120/90. Oh come on! Haha. Now I know by the fact that this other teeth of mine is kinda difficult as what m...
 (Total 103 words)
Wisdom teeth extraction of the horizontally positioned or vertically positioned molar that's completely embeded in bone may be performed in-office or in the operating room. In the dental clinic, the procedure will be done under local anesthesia (with some nerve blocking), and will take about 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the difficulty of the case (position and/anatomy of the tooth). In the operating room, the procedure will be performed under general anesthesia. It's more expensive...
 (Total 151 words)
Wisdom teeth extraction of the horizontally positioned or vertically positioned molar that's completely embeded in bone may be performed in-office or in the operating room. In the dental clinic, the procedure will be done under local anesthesia (with some nerve blocking), and will take about 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the difficulty of the case (position and/anatomy of the tooth). In the operating room, the procedure will be performed under general anesthesia. It's more expensive...
 (Total 151 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan I think it would be best to hear from the dentist in the MIMS communtiy Maria Cristina Inserto . I had wisdom tooth surgery last month too. I felt on and off pain at the back of my mouth when chewing. Apparently, an impacted wisdom tooth was causing the pain after I underwent an x-ray. My dentist told me that ...
 (Total 128 words)
Now I can relate to this sure real! Last month I have been experiencing stiffness and pain to my left upper wisdom and right lower wisdom teeth. So I consulted my dentist which happen to be my cousin and advised me to have an xray. And so I did. After which it revealed the anatomy of my impacted teeth which erupted somewhat horizontally and not in line just same with the others. The dentist advised me to have it extracted but I have chosen to just remove one. I was frightened because the last ti...
 (Total 224 words)