General
Olympians zap their brains for Rio 2016

Olympians zap their brains for Rio 2016

Shared by:

Some athletes competing at the Olympic Games in Rio have trained harder and smarter for the games thanks to transcranial direct current stimulation, which involves channeling tiny currents through specific regions of the brain.

today.mims.com

12 Aug 2016 - General

Thank you for joining in Mark Edmon Tan. It seems like the need for substantial research is needed and not mere testing on athletes which at the same time is a marketing strategy to sell the product. I read that tDCS is typically used to treat neuropsychiatric conditions. I have no experience with this technique. The closest thing to it that I have seen was ECT but that was just an old machine in the psychiatric ...
 (Total 131 words)
Jennifer Winter : Thank you for tagging me along the discussion. As seen in my comment below, I have reservations for tDCS. It seems more like a placebo effect at this point. There is not even a published journal to support their claim. High altitude training is a common practice to induce polycythemia. Increase in RBCs (and subsequently hemoglobin) carries more oxygen to improve endurance. Since you mentioned d...
 (Total 130 words)
Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) has claims that are purely anecdotal. The CNS is what makes a person fully unique including being well-coordinated (or lack thereof). The capability to perform athletic abilities was wired to us the day we were born. Though I would not that tDCS is completely ineffective, the device conducted their tests on elite athletes. This is a very special group of population who were lucky enough to have very responsive neural circuitry. Even the duration of ...
 (Total 150 words)
"The result is that the athlete is more adaptable to learning". I like that statement. Is there any chance this can be modified for med students as well? :) As interesting as it sounds though, without academic research backing it up for training use, it will be almost impossible for experts, that is, the medical and health care professionals, to accept what Halo Sport is claiming. In the medical field, Transcranial direct current stimulation is a promising technique that can be applied...
 (Total 112 words)
I see athletes go to places of higher altitude for training which is a smart way to avoid having to resort to the illegal blood doping. The body will aclimatize to a lack of oxygen and therefore increase red blood cells and hemoglobin. So it said at the end that "it is not yet on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s (WADA) prohibited list, largely because it is still unclear whether it actually gives athletes unfair advantage". I am not really sure on what to make of this but I don't thi...
 (Total 138 words)