General

The infamous doctors' hand writing

Created by:

12 Aug 2016 - General

Tarah Cadiz -- LOL. At least you became a doctor. You can go back to that teacher and say, my handwriting was put to good use.
Theekshana Abayawickrama -- I know what you mean. There are nice handwriting that are "full of Monet", so they look nice but when you try to read it it's like they invented a different st...
 (Total 158 words)
Oh the paperless charts. I would love to use EMR as it would help eliminate the spending so much time writing in charts and making prescriptions. Practically the majority of practicing doctors now are techy and shouldn't have too many issues with this. Although if this is to avoid errors I have seen quite a few boo boos with EMR. Someone I know showed me their chart that was done at a certain hospital and the doctor did not select the right information like saying that the patient had clear ...
 (Total 235 words)
Ugly handwriting means that the brain is acting way faster than the hand. At least, that was what Albert Einstein said. Personally, I have decent handwriting but daily paperwork takes its toll for me throughout the day; hence, the infamous handwriting. It also serves as our protection from adding the number of drugs to be dispensed by patients :)) Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan : We also instruct the patients on how...
 (Total 158 words)
I also didn't have good handwriting at school and it has only got worse with time. But whenever I write, I always think that what I'm writing is going to be read by someone else so it has to be clear. I often find myself staring at medical notes written by my colleagues trying to make sense of what's written. Sometimes handwriting is so bad that it feels like deciphering some alien language. Nice handwriting and clear handwriting are different. Your letters may look horrible, but if ...
 (Total 110 words)
I personally never had great hand writing to begin with but I do not write in hieroglyphics though. Kathleen Peralta: I went through a different schooling system as a kid and wasn't graded on penmanship which I would presume is the reason behind bad hand writing than others. I write in cursive really badly and so I stick to print. I would write my prescriptions in all capitals as well as this is better unders...
 (Total 206 words)
I already have a very crappy handwriting as a child. One time, our English teacher gave us penmanship exercises. So we did write and the following day, our teacher returned the papers of those whose penmanship were good enough and those who had very bad handwriting were asked to take another exercise. All the girls in the class had their papers handed back to them EXCEPT FOR ME and 2 other boys. That's how bad my handwriting was and it never improved. My teacher back then told me, "You ...
 (Total 103 words)
Yes Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan. When my dad was sick and we were given a long list of medicines, it is great help when the nurse presents us with a computerized/typed prescription. It helps because it's hard to go through a long list of medicines daily. Are some of our hospitals here in the Philippines paperless now. like in Greys Anatomy? Hehe. We were just in Heart Center last year and they were still on p...
 (Total 77 words)
As a pharmacist, I often get asked by friends and relatives - “How on earth do you pharmacists understand those prescriptions with horrible handwriting?”. It used to be an inside joke for us pharmacists that we are the recipient of “doctor’s love letters” (prescriptions) because we get to understand them in just one glimpse. My mom being a doctor (and I being the recipient of too many unintelligible grocery lists), I asked her one time why she--and most other doctors--have such crappy handwritin...
 (Total 151 words)
I may not be able to relate with the doctor's handwriting but I have something to share about handwriting. After years of working with our fellow countrymen here in UK, I have noticed that we almost have similar stroke or manner of writing. Our colleagues would sometime say, "you definitely write like this and that". Is this somehow related to how we are taught in school? I remember my grade school days where we have got penmanship/ writing classes and taught about curved/ script p...
 (Total 105 words)
"Sulat Doctor" (Doctor's handwriting) is always synonymous to a crappy handwritting--one that is illegible and hard to decipher (like a code). When I was in Dentistry School we did rounds in the hospital and we were asked to go through medical charts to find good cases to report. All the charts were very hard to understand, what with several types of handwriting on them--just when you're beginning to get familiar with the strokes, you are introduced to something new. Anyway, I ...
 (Total 213 words)