General
5 types of tablets to avoid splitting

5 types of tablets to avoid splitting

Shared by:

The culture of splitting tablets is commonly seen amongst both patients and practitioners alike. Whether this practice should be promoted has been subjected to great debate: is it safe to cut tablets?

today.mims.com

12 Aug 2016 - General

Mark Edmon Tan I think opening up capsules and mixing the contents with food or drink has become a common practice, especially if there is no alternative. Though I believe technically it isn't ideal, but maybe it works so it’s not completely discouraged. It is preferable, however, to use alternate dosage forms like syrups or liquid suspensions if the patient cannot swallow a capsule or tablet. This helps to k...
 (Total 106 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan This is a very nice read. Your idea of tablet's packaging having "Do Not Split" precautions would be really helpful for both the doctors and especially the nurses. I have a question about capsules that contain powdered form of medication. The powder would always be mixed with juice when I was a kid to ensure compliance. Is this really acceptable for capsules? ...
 (Total 230 words)
Leothel Elysse Mayores and Jennifer Winter So true! Though I myself split tablets at home with a kitchen knife when needed (haha). Well, who has a pill-cutter at home anyway? Maybe just make sure that the knife is supper sharp so it doesn't make the tablet give off tiny crubled pieces when split. :) The precaution is most need...
 (Total 80 words)
Hi Kathleen Peralta! Enteric-coated tablets are designed to release the medication only in the small intestine, and they are rendered as such for reasons like they may be damaged by the gastric fluids or may cause severe gastric irritation, or have a higher chance of absorption from the small intestines. Since this is the case, dissolving enteric-coated tablets in water (or cutting/ crushing them) will deactivate...
 (Total 136 words)
Pill splitting is quite a common practice. Leothel Elysse Mayores is right about how it is more cost effective to split a tablet. Mostly the ones that are split are the ones with indentation like the article stated. I jumped ahead of the writer when it came to the line "In certain cases when a pill cutter is not available, it is not uncommon for patients to split the tablet using.." KITCHEN KNIFE! :) Th...
 (Total 96 words)
When I was a nursing student, it is a very common practice in the hospitals. I guess it is still now. The problem arises if the patients are not properly informed, especially for take home meds. And as stated, it makes a lot of sense to split pills in order to save money, and meds don’t come cheap nowadays. If it is safe to split it, then go! But before we prescribe it, make sure the patients are given proper explanation why, how and when to do it. Also give express instruction not to split the ...
 (Total 104 words)
You are right in saying that "Do not split" or even "Do not crush" labels would really be helpful. As the Pharmacist in this community, I would like to ask specifically about enteric coated tablets, Modified release ones and capsules. How would you safely administer these tablet for patients with swallowing difficulty and only able to swallow thickened fluids or pureed foods? As the article has suggested that it is not appropriate to cut or give the medication aside from its ...
 (Total 110 words)
Many patients are unaware that there are tablets that should not be split. I believe that it is ultimately the pharmacist's responsibility to inform patients about this during dispensing of the medications. A lot of problems can arise from splitting such tablets; some experts also do not recommend splitting any kind of tablet, as there are chances (though rare) that the drug isn’t uniformly distributed along the two halves. Aside from this, nurses should also be informed about this, as they ...
 (Total 150 words)