General

Emergency care for burns--Correct me if i'm wrong =D

Created by:

13 Aug 2016 - General

Minor burns - aftercare

You can care for minor burns at home with simple first aid.

First-degree burns are only on the top layer of the skin. The skin can:

• Turn red
  • Swell
  • Be painful

Second-degree burns go one layer deeper than first-degree burns. The skin will:

• Blister
  • Turn red
  • Usually swell
  • Usually be painful

Treat a burn like a major burn (call your doctor) if it is:

• From a fire, an electrical wire or socket, or chemicals
  • Larger than 2 inches
  • On the hand, foot, face, groin, buttocks, hip, knee, ankle, shoulder, elbow, or wrist

First Aid for Minor Burns

First, calm and reassure the person who is burned.

If clothing is not stuck to the burn, remove it. If the burn is caused by chemicals, take off all clothes that have the chemical on them.

Cool the burn:

• Use cool water, not ice.
  • If possible, especially if the burn is caused by chemicals, hold the burned skin under cool running water for 10 to 15 minutes until it does not hurt as much. Use a sink, shower, or garden hose.
  • If this is not possible, put a cool, clean wet cloth on the burn, or soak the burn in a cool water bath for 5 minutes.

If it is a minor burn:

• Clean the burn gently with soap and water.
  • DO NOT break blisters. An opened blister can get infected.
  • You may put a thin layer of ointment, such as petroleum jelly or aloe vera,
  • If needed, protect the burn from rubbing and pressure with a sterile non-stick gauze
I have got an unforgettable experience to share. When we were in Philippines over Christmas last year, I had a kettle to pour the hot water into the pale for my daughter to take a bath. I kept the kettle in the farthest side but still accident did happen. My daughter all stripped off and ready for a bath slipped on the floor and went straight to the kettle, burning her thigh. I panicked! I didn't know what to do as she kept crying, it seemed like all the things I learnt from school and work ...
 (Total 155 words)
I don't see anything that needs correction. :D Thanks for sharing the information. However the article appears to be missing the step that should be done first and foremost. Get the victim to safety. No matter whatever you do to treat the patient and lessen the pain, if a burning tree falls on his head that is the end of it. So if it is a burning house, or simply a burning tire, get the victim to a safe distance from the fire. Take care of the burns, and also see if there's anything you ...
 (Total 109 words)