General

Hand-over - Important process to ensure patient safety

Created by:

13 Aug 2016 - General

"Hand-over" is a very important processs in healthcare sector. Working in the shift system, people finishing the shift will need to hand-over patients properly to the persons who will be starting and take over the next shift. This is particualrly important for doctors and nurses, who need to ensure that the collegaues coming on for the next shift have sufficient clinical informations and plan of management for patients. I beleive that the progress of "Hand-over" can be varied from hospital to hospital, or country to country. For example, some do a proforma sheet for "hand-over", some use computer/electronic system, some has "hand-over" meeting, and etc.   The vital component of "hand-over" will be identification of sick or potential sick patients, clincial details,and managment plans. What are the "hand-over" progress / protocol you have encountered?

In the Philippines, hand-overs are termed as endorsements. Common practice for us is to do hand-overs in an office. Clinically significant symptoms, ancillary procedure results, medications, significant remarks, and pending procedures are endorsed both in printed forms and verbally in an office first. Then, rounds with the patients take place with introduction of the doctor-on-duty to the patients. I think that making the rounds are important part in reassuring the patient that his/her managemen...
 (Total 120 words)
In a care home where I used to work, we have got a pre printed format with all the names of the residents and day/night nurse writes significant events, concerns or changes to the resident during the shift. We have also included a small tick box in a column/table format using the acronyms M I S K I N, which stands for MOVEMENT, ILL, SORE, KEEP MONITORING, INCONTINENCE AND NUTRITION. This is a tool used to help us prevent pressure sores and raise the awareness of staff regarding pressure areas. (...
 (Total 128 words)
Yes. I would definitely agree that effective and good communication during the “hand-over” between the healthcare professionals is the utmost important factor. Lack of good communication may lead to misunderstanding of clinical information or plan which may cause some adverse outcome. I would say most of the healthcare settings are still using an informal way of “hand-over”, with the use of either written information in a piece of paper or verbally. I think a formal, well structured; “hand-ove...
 (Total 116 words)
An effective communications between healthcare providers is handover of patient care. To improve safety of clinical handover practices, thereby reducing the number of adverse events. It will describe and analyze spoken and written communication in clinical handover and employ these discourse analytical findings to collaborately improve handover practices. Outcomes will be communication systems framework and redesign of clinical handovers, leading to safer health care practices and therefore cont...
 (Total 94 words)