General

Randomised clinical trial: the efficacy of gut-directed hypnotherapy is similar to that of the low FODMAP diet for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome

Created by:

13 Aug 2016 - General

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/apt.13706/full

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a very common gastrointestinal disorder that affect a lot people. There is no effective cure for this condition. Dietary intervention of low FODMAPs diet (fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols) was proven to be effective for symptomatic controlled. However, the adherence for this restrictive diet can be challenging for patients. This lates randomised clinical trials showed that gut-directed hypnotherapy can achieve similar effetcs of relief of gastrointestinal symptoms in the cohort of IBS, with superios efficacy on the psychological aspect. The intervention of gut-directed hypnotherapy is described as weekly 1 hout hypnosis sessions based on Manchester model, similar structure for each participant, conducted by clinical hypnotherapist, for 6 weeks. It is an interesting finding, which can be useful in clincial setting. Further studies with more participants are required to reinforce the finding. 

Anything that involves changing diet often leads to poor compliance. Poor compliance with low FODMAPs diet is simply because carbohydrates is hard to substitute with, especially in Asia where race is a staple. Another factor to consider is the economic cost involved with customizing a diet for a person in a household. Lastly, the most important is patient's willingness to stick with a diet long-term. One of IBS's main triggers is severe stress. This then leads to the discomfort of diarrh...
 (Total 133 words)
I have a friend of mine who suffers from irritable bowel syndrome. Though it is not considered as a serious disease, the symptoms it causes to the patient over years is very distressing. At least several days a week my friend gets severe abdominal pain with bloating and dyspeptic symptoms. And he also gets either diarrhea or constipation. What's more distressing for him is to know that this condition is not yet well understood and there's no permanent cure for IBS apart from symptomatic ...
 (Total 108 words)