General

Incidence of most fatal type of stroke decreasing: Thanks to a decrease in smoking?

Created by:

14 Aug 2016 - General

Yes smoking is the risk factor in a lot of medical diseases and it is good that we put awareness to our patients and our fellow family members so that they can lower their risk of getting any for of medical illnesses. but we cant always blame smoking. We have to look into the lifestyle of the patient - in terms of exercise habits and also eating habits. I still see smoker who live through 90 and i also have seen a non smoking hypertensive patient living till 55. It all depends on his lifestyle a...
 (Total 147 words)
Yes, smoking has been the strong risk factor for a lot of medical diseases, like cardiovascular disease (Ischemic Heart Disease, Stroke), pulmonary disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), malignancy (a variety of malignancy, predominantly lung cancer), osteoporosis, reproductive disorder, periodontal disease, infection, postoperative complications, and etc. Most of them were causation proven. I do strongly believe that the reduction in subarachnoid haemorrhage in this study is likely d...
 (Total 134 words)
Globally, the leading cause of subarachnoid hemorrhage is not of aneurysmal origin, but due to a traumatic head injury (traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage). In all the large scale epidemiologic studies that I have reviewed, Finland has the leading number of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Apart from their advanced practice cerebrovascular medicine, they also have the largest incidence of familial aneurysms. In the study mentioned, it is difficult to assume that the decrease in the number of s...
 (Total 125 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama and Virgilio Montero : That is true. Almost every medical condition has been attributed with smoking with some lacking clear correlation. As for the topic, smoking also promotes hypertension and raises intracranial blood pressure. Uncontrolled hypertension is the most common cause of another hemorrhagic str...
 (Total 101 words)
I agree with Virgilo. Almost every possible disease in humans has been attributed to smoking. Sometimes there is clear evidence that smoking causes or increases the risk of getting certain diseases, but sometimes it is just because smoking is very common in the world and when one person with a problem was found to be a smoker, the blame is put on his habit of smoking. About subarachnoid hemorrhages, I believe smoking truly plays a part in it. Chemical compounds in tobacco smoke like nicotine int...
 (Total 123 words)
Subarachnoid haemorrhage is a form of severe haemorrhagic stroke, which is usually due to the rupture of an aneurysm in the brain. Cerebral aneurysm is relatively common, and most of the people would not get any complication from it. Subarachnoid haemorrhage usually will be fatal or may lead to severe morbidity. This Finnish study has shown that prevalence of subarachnoid haemorrhage reduced, with the decrease of prevalence of smoking among the population in Finland, with its national tobacco ...
 (Total 120 words)