General
Here's why you get car sick: your brain thinks it's being poisoned

Here's why you get car sick: your brain thinks it's being poisoned

Shared by:

Nothing spoils a nice drive like the creeping feeling of car sickness, but don't get too mad - this queasiness could actually be an indication that your brain is working as it should be... sort of.

www.sciencealert.com

14 Aug 2016 - General

I used to work on ship. From small ships to huge cruise ships. Sea sickness is a common soul that haunts everyone in it. But the remedy is drink lots of water and avoid caffeine products. Or simply sleep in if you have the chance. But being car sick is terrible. especially if you are stuck on a slow moving traffic under the hot sun and your brain receptors are already alerting you to puke! And you got no where to go. I usually blast the air conditioning and face it to me so i feel a lot calm and...
 (Total 136 words)
@Mark - That would be a good trick to prevent getting motion sickness. Before getting into the car I also should try to walk a little bit, maybe increase the speed slowly and run for a while. What your father had said really makes sense. It makes the brain believe that you are indeed moving, so as you begin the journey in a vehicle there will be no confusion whether your are moving or stationary. I don't get motion sickness much often now, but whenever I try to read something while traveling...
 (Total 115 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama Thank you for sharing this article. I used to experience car sickness as a kid. My father always asked me to walk slowly after a meal to prevent car sickness. Who knew that he was onto something? Moving primes the brain that you are moving before you even get inside the car. These prevents a signal input that you are stationary. ...
 (Total 144 words)
Our brain is receiving mixed signals. Our ear is telling our brain that were moving but our eyes may not be reflecting that same signal. The same reason why you can't tickle yourself, your body is able anticipate the movements because your brain is the one making the decisions, which delays the onset of motion sickness. With passengers there is a disconnect between what you are seeing and your body is feeling all to do with the balance mechanisms pf your inner ear. This fools the brain into...
 (Total 144 words)
Oh wow! This is so interesting! It just says that my mind is as paranoid as I am. Haha. I always get motion sickness when I'm not the driver or when I am a backseat passenger. I cannot read or even text when I'm a passenger too, I will really get sick (or at least want to). I also used to think it was the semi-circular canals of the ear, because they are linked to vertigo, right? Anyway, this is really interesting. Now I know that instant relief will be received by just looking outside a...
 (Total 140 words)
"As soon as the brain gets confused by anything like that, it says, oh, I don't know what to do, so just be sick, just in case," Haha that's a pretty nice explanation of how we get motion sickness. :D I used to believe that motion sickness was caused by the inner ear due to the movements of the otoliths while the body remains stationary. But what the scientists say in this article is interesting. Our brain can't make sense of the sensory inputs it receives when we are trave...
 (Total 111 words)