General
To err is human - the cost of medical negligence

To err is human - the cost of medical negligence

Shared by:

Medical professionals take an oath to use their ability and judgment, never with a view to cause harm, but to help the sick. Despite this, medical professions are not infallible and have often erred in the course of providing treatment.

today.mims.com

14 Aug 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro: Clearly, there was no negligence on your part. Relatives often think that they do not to take care of their sick loved ones during hospital admission because they "paid" for it. They do not seem to understand that they pay for the hospital procedures and professional fees but not for taking care of the patient. I feel bad for my patients when I see that they are with disinterested rela...
 (Total 188 words)
Marinelle Castro Oh my gosh, it's quite scary when these things happen, huh? A friend of mine got served damages, but escaped it because he worked on a different tooth. When we were going through his charts, we noticed, wait they're going on about a different area. You worked on a different tooth. So we said, "This is not your problem", but he was so scared.

Anyway, I think my friend h...
 (Total 149 words)
Mark Edmon Tan "Lastly, we are infallible. It takes a mature professional to issue a sincere apology." That's true. I have a story about a root canal years back. I failed to locate an extra canal, and the patient was in pain after I closed. Unfortunately, we were having repairs in the clinic (painting) so I couldn't see him so he had to go somewhere. The dentist suggested that there probably is ...
 (Total 243 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Was your friend negligent in any way? If not, she should fight the alleged patient in court. Just to share an experience. I was almost sued by a patient. Good thing, I am a resident so I was spared from it. During one of the typhoons last year, my patient (12 years old) and his brother (15 yrs old if I'm not mistaken) used their dad's motorcycle, to which their dad agreed. Of course...
 (Total 320 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Sorry to hear about your friend's troubles. As for the topic, medical lawsuits are really becoming common and doctors have been forced to adjust by requesting extra ancillary procedures to show that "the works" was done for the patient. In reality, our initial action should always be toward establishing rapport with the patient. To quote Dwyane Wade's tweet, he stated "...
 (Total 162 words)
Last week I met with a dentist friend whose patient filed a complaint against her with PDA (Philippine Dental Association). This isn't the first time a friend of mine has gotten into trouble, but always it's painful. To err is human. As human beings we are always allowed a window for error. People say "It's okay, you're just human", but the case isn't true for doctors (most of the time). I am familiar with my friend's case and I don't see anything "file...
 (Total 242 words)