General
Percutaneous nephrolithotomy carries increased risk of hypertension

Percutaneous nephrolithotomy carries increased risk of hypertension

Shared by:

Kidney stone patients who undergo percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PNL) may be at high risk of developing hypertension, a large study suggests.

specialty.mims.com

14 Aug 2016 - General

I haven't really had much exposure to urology or nephrology after my medical rotations as a medical student. But those days we have seen different modalities of treatment of renal stones. The three main methods practiced in my hospital are per-cutaneous nephrolithotomy, ureteroscopic lithotripsy and extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy. Nephrolithiasis itself can be a risk factor for development of hypertension, but I also doubt if any of these methods of removing renal stones can trigger hy...
 (Total 108 words)
Marinelle Castro I share the same opinion with you. The article unfortunately did not include vital information. With concern to the population, what was the mean age? Did the participants have a family history of hypertension? How about the concomitant presence of renal artery stenosis among the participants? If the participants were in the middle age group, is is possible that the diagnosis of new onset hyperte...
 (Total 133 words)
I'm very skeptic about this claim because I have assisted in doing a percutaneous nephrolithotomy during my general surgery days. Again, the risk factors for developing essential and secondary hypertension should have been included in the study to be able to qualify or at least strengthen the association between exposure to a procedure and the development of a disease. Percutaneous nephrolithotomy is a non-invasive procedure when done by a skilled urologist. Mechanisms that can bring about h...
 (Total 141 words)