General
Why some nurses get hooked on tobacco

Why some nurses get hooked on tobacco

Shared by:

While they should be model citizens when it comes to healthy living, nurses who smoke are not uncommon.The number of smoking nurses is not scandalous, but it is disturbing that they pick up the habit at all or continue with it in spite the war against tobacco, and having first-hand experience about what it can do to the body.

today.mims.com

14 Aug 2016 - General

Marinelle Castro wow! Good thing you're able to quit smoking. Was there a time that you are tempted to try another stick because you miss doing it? I am sure you have, how were you able to surpass such temptation. Yes I'd better be silent and agree with you. The willingness to change must come from within. No matter how many times will you tell them to stop it if they don't want to, it will never be. ...
 (Total 92 words)
not only nurses, but doctors smoke too. It is mainly due to the high stress level of work that we are in or the bunch we hang out with. It always start from another friend who might have introduced the harmless looking cigarette. Usually what they do is smoke during short breaks to relief their tension from stressors or usually before or after meals. It eases their urge and relaxes their mind. Of cause people are aware of the harmfulness of smoking but are still doing it. Next we come to habits,...
 (Total 127 words)
I was a chainsmoker for the last 15 years and I quit last March. It started out as a bad habit that turned into an addiction. Anyway I'm glad I finally decided to quit cold turkey. Priscilla Mae Gobuyan You don't have to convince them to stop smoking. The decision to stop a bad habit should come from them. More often than not, the more you convince them, the more they will smoke. So just allow them to rea...
 (Total 128 words)
Between my bestfriend and I, I'm the bad girl. I mean that's how people knew us growing up. She was the quiet and meek one, I was the noisy and outgoing one (sometimes I'm a bully too and I do rebellious things). I became a dentist and she became a doctor. Anyway, she was always the good one, but during her intern days she gave me the biggest shock when she asked me if she could smoke while we were having dinner. I was so surprised cus I don't even smoke. Anyway, she said it'...
 (Total 224 words)
Should introduce a stop smoking health campaign in the hospital soon it seems. Health of the employee is not only important for the image of the hospital , it is important for the productivity of the hospital. A stop smoking campaign should target the worker, the worker's environment and the employer. For the environment, I suggest a smoke box 100m away from the building outdoor so that any empolyee who wants to smoke, has to walk 100m out of the building. Around the box, we can paste poster...
 (Total 143 words)
Mark Edmon Tan thanks for taking time in giving me such advice. But sad to say, she's also a nurse. So do I really need to show the benefits of not smoking and disadvantages of a smoker? I guess if there's no willingness from within at all to change, it will be hard for them to be influenced to quit smoking. How to be more effective? Glad to hear about your motivating factor to quit smoking. So are you a ...
 (Total 85 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan That is true. Healthcare professionals have to look the part and act the part. I once had a counselling during clerkship with an ENT consultant because he knew I was a smoker. He asked me if I was a coward because smoking is a cowardly way of handling stress. This became a very effective way for me to quit smoking. As for your question, you can only convince a person if you are persistent. ...
 (Total 183 words)
They say, you cannot give what you don't have. How ironic sometimes that as health care providers, we are considered to be role models. But it can never be avoided that those who are knowledgeable seem to be the ones who are breaking the rules. In order to be effective, one must start from within. I never smoke but I have a lot of friends who does. I keep on telling them to at least lessen or quit smoking because there's a lot of diseases connected to smoking. But I have this someone clo...
 (Total 163 words)