General

Clostridium Difficile Infection - Treatment and Prevention

Created by:

14 Aug 2016 - General

Clostridium Difficile infective diarrhoea is a well known hospital acquired infection, that can be associated with significant morbidity and mortality. The risk factors for C.Diff infection inlcude antibiotic use, hospitalization, and elderly patient. The most common antibiotics that associated with C.Diff infection will be clindamycin, cephalosporin, expanded spectrum penicillins, and fluoroquinolones. The most common utilized diagnostic test for detection of C.Diff infection will be the enzyme immunoassays to detect C.Diff toxin A or toxin A and B. The treatment options will usually be depended on the severity of the disease, the usual antibiotics that can be used for C.Diff infection will be metronidazole, vancomycin, and the latest fidaxomicin. Feacal transplantation can be option for severe refractory C.Diff infection.  Do you have any experience in treating C,.DIff infection ?? What are the measures to prevent C.Diff infection in hospital ??

Clostridium difficile infection is one that often goes undiagnosed in my country. It is generally suspected rather than confirming the diagnosis. Initially diagnosis of Clostridium difficile needed colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy. Appearance of pseudomembranes in the colon was very suggestive of Clostridium difficile colitis. But now a days lower gastrointestinal endoscopy is not commonly performed in all patients with uncomplicated colitis. Stool testing for the presence of Clostridium difficile t...
 (Total 112 words)
I have seen C. Difficile infection when I was still a medical clerk. We used metronidazole during that time that caused resolution of the infection. One risk factor that we can control is judicious antibiotic prescription. For example, prescription of penicillin instead of fluoroquinolones may be adequate for UTI. Use of other macrolides instead of clindamycin will be welcome as well. As for the new narrow-spectrum drug fidaxomicin, it has been shown to target C. difficile without disrupting the...
 (Total 108 words)