General
Scientists break 13-year silence to insist 'three-parent baby' technique is safe

Scientists break 13-year silence to insist 'three-parent baby' technique is safe

Shared by:

When scientists announced in 2003 they had used a pioneering technique for the first time to create so-called ‘three-parent babies’, there was international outrage with accusations that they were “playing God”.

www.independent.co.uk

15 Aug 2016 - General

Maria Cristina Inserto Theekshana Abayawickrama I agree with you that implementing these scientific advancements for the sole purpose of preserving human life is justifiable. However, this practice can also have worrisome consequences. I've thought about this deeply and genetic engineering is still imperfect and is largely expe...
 (Total 148 words)
Three parent babies. I really did not know this was a thing. Probably because I was in college playing age of empires in 2003 when the initial debate was going on. :) In my opinion, there's is a bit of 'playing god' involved in this. By doing such genetic modifications, we are artificially changing the course of nature. But I'm not saying that it's bad in any way. Playing god is what doctors are made for, is it not? We save people who are destined to die. We make people live ...
 (Total 127 words)
I also do not see anything wrong with this, even as a Christian. Even in the case of IVF, I never saw it a wrong thing. In fact I have two friends in my Bible study group who are OBs and they perform IVF. I don't think this is "playing God" at all. A three-parent baby is a different thing though and I agree with you Marinelle, if utilized for the sole purpose of preserving human life by preventing disease, then there shouldn't be a problem with it. If further developed and then...
 (Total 143 words)
To be honest, I did not read about this back in 2003. I was still in college then. Anyway, as a medical practitioner, I do not think that there is anything wrong with this novel procedure, especially if the intent is to preserve human life by disease prevention. However, this should be done for the sole purpose of preserving human life -- not for anything else. Since this new field can easily be subject to abuse and manipulation, countries who will guarantee its legalization should carefully re...
 (Total 127 words)