General

Benefits of mushroomS!

Created by:

16 Aug 2016 - General

Cut Calories  

When ground beef was swapped out for mushrooms in lasagna, sloppy joes and chili, adults consumed 400 fewer calories per day. Just don’t sabotage this fringe benefit by preparing mushrooms with loads of butter. Instead, toss them into a nonstick pan that’s been lightly sprayed with oil, then sauté on low heat until they soften.

Increase your metabolism

Vitamin B are vital for turning food (carbohydrates) into fuel (glucose), which the body burns to produce energy. They also help the body metabolize fats and protein. Mushrooms contain loads of vitamin B2 and vitamin B3.

Eat your antioxidants

When it comes to antioxidants, the substances that help fight free radicals that are the result of oxidation in our body, we’re more likely to think of colourful vegetables than neutral-hued mushrooms. Measure of a food’s total antioxidants, of crimini and portobello mushrooms were about the same as for red peppers.

Boost your immune system

White button mushrooms may promote immune system by increasing the production of antiviral and other proteins that are released by cells while they are trying to protect and repair the body’s tissues. According to some reliable resources, this may help enhance the body’s immunity leading to better defence systems against invading microbes.

Safeguard Against Cancer

Mushrooms are rich in disease-fighting phytochemicals, and eating them regularly has been linked to a lower risk of cancer. 

Personally, I use mushrooms a lot in my cooking because it makes a good meat alternative and like tofu it offers texture and "substance". I incorporate a lot of vegetables in my cooking, as a filler, but I am fond of substituting mushroom to common meat dishes. Actually my true fondness with mushrooms is because it is lower in calorie content compared to meat and is a good substitute. Being able to enjoy its other benefits is a good plus. As for preserving the nutrients, mushrooms may...
 (Total 162 words)
Looking into this matter. Does anyone have any idea how far and long can you cook mushrooms but at the same time keeping the healthy nutrients intact?
Or what sort of dishes are suitable to cook mushrooms in order to keep and enjoy the nutrients packed in it? What most people are concerned are the style of cooking and also what is the best way to cook mushrooms. Either saute, boiled or fried. To what extent would you use mushrooms in your dish? I know a lot of you might be thinking the same-...
 (Total 121 words)
Many mushrooms have proven anti-tumor effects. There have been many cases of dramatic recoveries from cancer while using mushrooms. Mushrooms are a pharmacopeia unto themselves. Sure, they are a fungus, but they seem to survive under the most adverse conditions (dark, wet, moldy). They have special virtues that allow them to survive. It has been proven that many species will increase immune response. And also mushrooms can convert into hydrocarbons of an oil spill into carbohydrates. Mushroo...
 (Total 86 words)