General

Where Did I Go Wrong? (A True Story)

Created by:

16 Aug 2016 - General

I have this encounter recently in the unit about three days ago, I was on a 12-hour day shift and there's the four of us on duty with 26 private rooms. I was the senior nurse that time and about 4:30pm, I received a call from a colleague of mine asking for a rivotril stock from our unit because they cannot find a resident doctor having an S2 License for regulated drugs. I told him that I couldn't give him any stock and that I've seen one resident with the license who just left our unit few minutes ago. The unit has the only storage in the hospital for regulated drugs except for ICU's. As a senior staff, I am the ones responsible for holding the Ecart and regulated keys. 

About 5pm, my other OB patient developed anaphylaxis after eating french fries. Rashes everywhere, puffy face and choking sensation was manifested by the patient. So I was busy coordinating with the resident and I left the key hanging in the Emergency Cart.

Here goes Mr. A (the nurse asking for rivotril) sending to signal to my junior to come over. I have seen them on my peripheral vision and tend not to mind them. But I have a great feeling that they are negotiating about the regulated drug.

To my surprise, my Junior colleague simply got the key from the Ecart and opened the regulated cabinet without hesitation and prior notice and returned the key to the drawer next to me. So I pretended not to see her and just act like I don't know anything thinking that she wasn't able to ask permission because I was too busy. The shift has ended and asked them to go ahead of me. I want to test this Junior's honesty and yet I was disappointed. 

The next day, before our night shift ends I have confronted the Junior in the medication area. No one was in there. 
I asked her regarding the situation on why she wasn't able to ask permission. She was shocked and caught off guard, maybe on how was I able to know about it. She thought that it was okay for her to get without prior notice because that senior nurse from other station had asked her to get the drug. And so I told her, "it is not allowed to get without permission from your senior nurse. I think the next time you should pay courtesy and pay a little respect. Please don't take this negatively rather an opportunity for you to improve." She was about to cry and so I ended the conversation. She ran to the bathroom and cried. I gave her a little time to fix herself and talked to her again, "are you mad at me? Please don't take this personally because work is just work". Tears keep on falling into her eyes and asking for an apology. So I smiled and asked her not to do it again.

So I thought it was fine, that was just a simple confrontation of her lapses I guess. But after a few hours, it came to a surprise for me seeing this post on facebook about I am sorry, and suicidal ideations. Like what the hell is going on? The next day, a friend of her which happen to be my classmate in college hand over a piece of rivotril for the replacement. 

That is not about the medication but the attitude which I will not tolerate. Can you tell me guys what should I do with this kind of funny/scary situation?

Priscilla Mae Gobuyan You handled the situation appropriately and professionally. You do not need to feel bad over your colleague's reaction. These are personal idiosyncrasies that you do not have to deal with unless you have a personal relationship with her. To be honest, I admire your tolerance because you gave her several chances to be redeem herself and admit her mistakes. As for me, I have poor toleranc...
 (Total 189 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan I see where you are coming from. Everything you did was within the jurisdiction of a senior nurse. You even overlooked the fact that she lent an S2 license-requiring drug without your permission. This was gross insubordination. It could have had consequences if one of your patients suddenly needed the medication and you as the senior nurse will be held liable. The incident when you confronte...
 (Total 139 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Thanks doctor for jumping into this topic. Exactly, you can never please everybody but pleasing anyone isn't my major goal I guess. All I want is to receive respect and courtesy as a senior staff. I guess I'd just pretend like I don't care at all. Most of the time you are being misinterpreted, sad to say. I just hope she will improve and take this as an opportunity to improve. Ta...
 (Total 112 words)
Jennifer Winter thanks for sharing your thoughts on this Dr. Winter. There was name mentioned on the post, but just saying "I know this is annoying but I am sorry. The world is so perfect.. If death is the answer, please take me with you.. Etc". Though my name was not on the post but I was guilty and sure that even if that was not for me but most likely it's for me because maybe an hour after our sh...
 (Total 157 words)
Oh this is a case of "you can't please everybody" and so this is now beyond your control. I think it was right for you to assert your authority. I do not see anything wrong about the way you handled things, but of course I am not familiar with hospital protocol and rules/but you're talking about an S2 drug. I do not see anything wrong with how you chose to handle it. Some people will even do the scolding "in front of people" and you did it in private and you chose y...
 (Total 194 words)
First of all you did the right thing to test your junior for honesty. Who knows? Maybe in the future when place in a similar situation her honesty will once again be tested. Confronting her about it, with no one else around, was a good move as well. The fact that you did it while it was still fresh and in private was very good as well. It is best not to let time pass as the talk will lose its graveness if done later. It is good to be done in private to avoid embarrassing your colleague in front ...
 (Total 267 words)