General
10 Reasons Why Men Become Gynaecologists

10 Reasons Why Men Become Gynaecologists

Shared by:

How do men decide that they want to become gynaecologists? It is, without a doubt, an interesting question. Some may know the answer - or think they do - but for the rest of us who are in the dark, here are 10 reasons for this unique specialty choice.

today.mims.com

16 Aug 2016 - General

Tarah Cadiz: Ya to each his own really. I witnessed deliveries back in nursing school and I guess when I got to clerkship and had to do the deliveries myself (as we had in the government hospital we rotated in) I wasn't all too thrilled about it. I like the episiorrhaphy part as it spoke to my love for surgery but all the lochia, amniotic fluid etc didn't make me happy hehe. I do get all touchy now when p...
 (Total 87 words)
Jennifer Winter when I witnessed my first delivery back in clerkship, I kinda cried happy tears though. I am not in anyway related to the patient, just happy. Lol different strokes for different folks I guess.

Theekshana Abayawickrama i find it weird that there are more male ob/gynes in India as it is the other way around ...
 (Total 60 words)
Whether is a male or female patient it really depends on who you get. Suppose we should not generalise that female patient are actually more direct and straightforward. I guess the gender does not make a difference to whether they are better patients. In fact in the old school old fashioned mentality:males are the one who are more direct and straightforward and not afraid to voice out, and females are the ones that like to keep things to themselves and beat about the bush when it comes to certai...
 (Total 127 words)
I may have to disagree with the articles on the part whereby gynecologist usually see patients who are well. I believe the author mixed that up with obstetrician. Even so Obstetricians also have to deal with patients with co-morbidities and complications from delivery.
Would like to stress upon the fact that the terminology is that Obstetrician deals with the care of delivery of the child and Gynaecology deals with women's healh including disease of the female reproductive system. There ...
 (Total 113 words)
We, as medical students also had this question in our minds as to why almost all of the obstetricians and gynecologists are males. There were actually only one female obtetrician I have come across in my life. So we came up with this little interesting theory.
Females prefer to go to a female doctor to discuss their female problems. So if there are many female obstetricians and gynecologists, many patients will go to them and the male doctors will not have a good private practice. So at the ...
 (Total 112 words)
This is an interesting read for today. Male OB-gynecologists can be comparable to women taking surgery specialitzation. Can we imagine the awkwardness a male has to go through to finish residency training? I have seen one resident who was the thorn among the roses so to speak during junior internship. His rapport was great with his co-residents but there were a lot of adjustments. One was that he could not sleep at the quarters (for obvious reasons) so he had to make-do with a makeshift bed in t...
 (Total 163 words)
"Many male gynaecologists claim that the reason they chose this field is because they get to be part of and witness the miracle of birth."- On a personal note, back during my junior internship/clerkship my group mates would tell me how great they felt after delivering a baby and that they experienced the miracle of birth. I felt...nothing. Don't get me wrong I love children and want to have my own but the miracle of birth to stream into loving OB-GYN never appealed to me. To each h...
 (Total 195 words)
Making the Ladies Listen. LOL. "For them, it is the one chance they have to make a woman listen!" What are you guys saying? We are good listeners!

Anyway, most women have an issue about male OBs. My regular OB now is a female, but once upon a time I had a Myomectomy and I chose a male doctor to operate on me. I saw different people for consult and to hear their options, but I finally settled with this veteran doctor who I established amazing rapport with. Later on people aske...
 (Total 253 words)