General
A rise in nurses taking over doctors' responsibilities

A rise in nurses taking over doctors' responsibilities

Shared by:

Nurses in Singapore are taking over more of what used to be considered as doctors' tasks. Does this affect the workload of nurses themselves and consequently affect the quality of patient care?

today.mims.com

16 Aug 2016 - General

I would agree to empower nurses with more responsibilities and knowledges so that the doctors do not have to do scad work. At the same time there should be admin workers who are employed to take away the bulk of unnecessary paper work done by nurses, and tasks like sponging patient can be replaced by other form of carer. In doing so, will healthcare in the nation advance. What we see now is that nurses are bogged down with taking parameters, serving medications, and documentation such that they ...
 (Total 115 words)
Alan Rosmadi you are right. As long as the nurse given the extra work is well compensated for it, sure why not right? My point is that if it is merely to make the doctor's work load lighter then I don't think it is a good solution. If we really want to lessen the tasks of the physician I say bring in Physician Assistants or Nurse Practioners. They can treat certain medical conditions on their own, particu...
 (Total 241 words)
I think that the root cause of all this manpower shortage and job delegation problem is the increasing amount of unnecessary documentation and paperwork that we need to accomplish in order to prove that our performance is at par with current standards of care. We spend a significant amount of time filling out forms, doing reports and data sheets that take too much of our time. Because of this, the time that is supposed to be spent on patient interaction is significantly lessened. In the end, pat...
 (Total 159 words)
In my point of view, i don't see what it as a hassle or a problem to take up these roles. It would simply reflect to the management and staff that the nurses that are doing that are capable, independent and competent. I would love to meet and know nurses who are able to do these kind of responsibilities and find out how they learn it. At the same time, doing these extra responsibilities comes with a price. No nurse would do and take up such a role at the same rate they are getting. As said p...
 (Total 155 words)
This is absolutely true! Not only limited to nurses running out clinics and doing doctors roles and responsibilities, it also applies in the hospital setting. For example in our institution, we used to transcribe home orders and prescribe the specified number of tablets to be taken home. Recently just a month ago, there was a memorandum wherein the attending physicians will be the one to do it in behalf of the nurses (which I believe it's the doctors responsibility). It's unavoidable tha...
 (Total 128 words)
Well said Jennifer Winter ! This has been in discussion because hospitals simply do not employ enough doctors and are once again on the cheap by delegating this shortage in manpower to the nurses. The nurses task is already complicated with but not limited to preparation of medication, recording the important vital signs, making rounds every few hours, and making sure the patients receive their medications on tim...
 (Total 123 words)
"For patients, costs and waiting times have been reduced and more physical and mental health support is provided, and in turn, doctors have more time to focus on more complex cases"--- that sounds like a good idea but I don't think it is largely necessary for nurses take on so much extra work. If the hospital or clinic is well staffed then it would be nice to give some of the work load of a doctor to the well trained nurse. The reason why I say it is not necessary is that we are a ...
 (Total 128 words)