General

Eye "workshop"

Created by:

17 Aug 2016 - General

• Food Products

Green leafy vegetables

They're packed with lutein and zeaxanthin containing antioxidants that, lower the risk of developing macular degeneration and cataracts.

Eggs

The yolk is a prime source of lutein and zeaxanthin and zinc, which also helps reduce macular degeneration risk.

Citrus and berries

These fruits are powerhouses of vitamin C, which has been shown to reduce the risk of developing macular degeneration and catarcts.

Almonds

They're filled with vitamin C, which slows macular degeneration, researches shows. One handful (an ounce) provides about half of your daily dose of E.

Fatty fish

Tuna, salmon, mackerel, anchovies and trout are rich in DHA, a fatty acid found in your retina which lowers the levels of which have been linked to the eye. 

• Steps to take

Rest your eyes

Staring at a computer screen or focusing on one thing for a long period of time can tire your eyes. Experts advise reducing eyestrain by following the “20-20-20 rule”: Look up from whatever you’re doing every 20 minutes and focus on something about 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

Manage your health conditions

If you have a health condition like high blood pressure or diabetes, it could affect your eye health. Make sure you alert your eye doctor if you have any health conditions so that you can work together to manage your eye health along with your overall health. Maintaining a healthy weight will benefit your eye.

Practice healthy lifestyle habits

It’s not just about eating carrots! You may be able to boost your eye health with a balanced diet rich in veggies. fruits, and fish because research suggests that these foods contain nutrients that may help reduce your risk of certain eye diseases.

This is a great article. The 20-20-20 rule was something that I practiced before but somehow forgotten this year. Thank you for reminding about the rule. I swear by it as it is very effective. I also use artificial tears every hour when working in front of the computer for more than 3 hours. We forget to blink as often as we need when we are focused on a task; hence, our eye's lubrication becomes decreased. For even soothing relief, I store the artificial tears in the refrigerator. I swear b...
 (Total 117 words)
Thanks bro. I was not aware of eye care until recently when I got my eye sight checked, and found out that my vision has gone bad to worst due to long hours on the computer with work and watching shows on television almost every night for a couple hours to relax myself while I was offshore. That is when I told myself that this has got to stop and I learn that it was just simple steps as mentioned above to take care of your eyes. I don't think a few minutes of your time will make you suffer. ...
 (Total 113 words)
At a glance I thought this post was about some kind of workshop related to ophthalmology! :) Anyway thanks for the article. Medical profession aside, as a computer user resting eyes is very important. There are times that I would spend a few hours straight at a computer, either browsing the internet, doing some academic work or simply playing a computer game. As long as you are engaged in an activity you don't feel that you're straining your eyes. It's when I come out from there tha...
 (Total 107 words)