General
Serious Head Injuries from Baby Strollers on the Rise

Serious Head Injuries from Baby Strollers on the Rise

Shared by:

More than 360,000 children ages 5 or younger went to the ER for stroller- or carrier-related injuries from 1990 to 2010, a new study finds.

www.livescience.com

18 Aug 2016 - General

All these issues boil down to responsible parenting. I agree with Ziwei Xie that once a child is more mobile, it means that parents should make an extra effort on keeping an eye on them. Based on what I observed from friends and family, this is not an easy task for parents and usually they have to alternate to make sure that their child is safe. However, despite the difficulty I don't think there's an ex...
 (Total 180 words)
Marinelle Castro It was fortunate to hear that the child became safe. I am surprised to see that children fall out of the stroller. Strollers have harness to keep the child in place that are adjustable according to height. Strapping the child inside the stroller takes almost a minute with all those safety belts. Jennifer Winter Ye...
 (Total 209 words)
When I saw this article I remember the really big signs they have in by escalators which tell you that you are not allowed bring push carts, use wheel chairs or use strollers on the escalator. These are meant to be brought in the elevator or to the least for children in strollers take them out, carry them and fold the stroller. I saw first hand a child of probably 4 years old in a stroller (yes fortunately the child was that big) and her parents pushed her onto the escalator. I was a few steps b...
 (Total 245 words)
Oh my what a dreadful story Marinelle, but that it ended on a happy note, a Christmas miracle indeed. Anyway, I have a lot of friends with children and they're all into the "lightweight" strollers nowadays. There are some brands that you can even fold and it conveniently packs into a backpack. It is quite portable and maybe this portability is an asset for convenience but an issue on safety. When my sisters were young, we had very stable/sturdy strollers but they were really bulky-...
 (Total 146 words)
I have not seen a case of stroller related injury before in my practice. I think children are just prone to injury any second you keep your eye off them. Even with proper design and all the safety features incorporated into stroller design , their use can be abused and safety procedures may not be adhered to. I have seen stroller fixed with fan, filled with dolls, attached with lots of different kiddy gadgets and even parents leaving the parent alone while in a stroller to sleep. I think while t...
 (Total 150 words)
Numbers can decrease if only precautionary measures and attention to the helpless child are taken. In terms a stroller falling backwards or the child falling and bumping his/ her head cause they choose to push their own stroller, I would blame the parents for neglecting the child. We all know how capable a child could be and what is our natural next reaction? Do not allow them to do such things. Well, I would give empathy to the child but full of disgust with such parents. For child with injuri...
 (Total 130 words)
I rarely encounter pediatric head injury referrals due to stroller injuries. However, I only had one experience wherein a 10 month old baby was left in the stroller while her mother took a bath. Unfortunately, the mother inadvertently left the stroller unlocked. When she got out of the bathroom, she saw her child on the ground and he kept on crying. According to her she was able to console him until he fell asleep. Two hours later, the child woke up and started having jerky movements. The mother...
 (Total 271 words)