General

Should old people over the age of 65 be allowed to drive?

Created by:

20 Aug 2016 - General

Only recently that an accident involving an old man who was driving his car, in between a lorry at his front and another car at his rear. It was a red light, and all of them were stationary when he suddenly pressed on his accelerator hitting the lorry in front of him with passengers. While reversing, he accelerated while on reverse and hitting the car at his rear and going again forward hitting the lorry the second time. Once he finally found the breaks, he got out of the car and tried blaming the rear driver. It was tragic but hilarious.

Statistics show that older drivers are over-represented in fatal accidents. Due to their physical frailty they are more likely to be injured in an accident and more likely to die of that injury. When frailty is accounted for and older drivers are compared to younger persons driving the same amount the over-representation disappears. According to the Insurance companies, a senior citizen is more likely than a younger driver to be at fault in an accident in which they are involved. The most common violations include failure to obey traffic signals, unsafe turns and passing, and failure to yield the right of way.

Family members of an elderly person, such as one’s children, are faced with the responsibility of trying to get them to give up driving. This can be challenging because few senior citizens are voluntarily willing to give up their own car keys. Getting old doesn’t mean driving deteriorates, but it changes. It should be monitored. 

Also at issue is determining exactly what age is considered too old to drive. As the process of aging varies from one person to the next, the age at which an elderly person’s ability to safely operate a motor vehicle declines varies between persons. 

What do you think?

We can debate about this all day and night, at the end of the day, it all depends on the government, And we all know that vehicle insurance for a person above the age of 60 and below the age of 30 are expensive. Why? because these numbers are those that might or would cause and has been proven over the years that accidents happened more frequently in these age group. Virgilio Montero no one is suspending anyone. ...
 (Total 214 words)
Elderly or not, if they're capable of driving then why not? Most driving accidents involve young adults and teenagers. Should they not be allowed to drive either? It's an issue of experience and maturity in their case and an issue of physical ability in the case of elderly drivers. Not all old people should be allowed to drive but at the same time not all young people should be allowed on the road, either. Our society as a whole is growing older and the average age is rising. Age isn'...
 (Total 206 words)
If just for age, I will totally disagree with this. My grandma is in her late 70s and is still driving in the US. Well, she is afraid of driving here in the Philippines but she's still very capable as a driver. I know of a lot of people over 65 years old that still drive on a daily basis. So with age as the sole basis, I don't think it's fair. But there are stubborn individuals who cannot admit to themselves that they are a danger to themselves and to others, when put behind the whee...
 (Total 150 words)
As everyone has said, age should not limit an individuals' ability to drive. Accidents do happen and with the story that you have shared, it could happen to a younger driver too who may have shortly lost control or concentration - due to whatever reason it may be. I have seen a lot of older drivers here and they just amazed me for still being able to drive on their own. I am not sure with other countries, but I had a look at our DVLA website which states that, if you're 70 or older, lice...
 (Total 123 words)
Probably, there should be a test whenever people above the age of 65 still want to drive. Similar to the other comments here, I don’t think age should be a generalization whether or not people should stop driving. It all depends on a person’s state of health. While there may be people who aren’t even 60 with problems with reflexes and eyesight, there are also people above 65 who can still drive a car excellently. Also, medications and other existing diseases should be checked to make sure that t...
 (Total 99 words)
I agree with everyone's comments that age should not be a limiting factor for driving. I also feel that 65 is such a young age to stop driving unless there is problem with cognition or other significant co-morbidities that are a hazard to operating heavy machinery. I agree with Theekshana Abayawickrama 's proposal that everyone should be assessed for capability to drive every license renewal. It would be m...
 (Total 130 words)
I agree with the comments that this is not entirely about age. It really depends if the person would be able to drive safely. I think the following should at least be tested to ensure road safety: visual acuity, screening for dementia (MoCHA testing will be a useful tool) and neurologic exam. Some comorbid conditions may also be a relative contraindication to driving. For example, some epileptic patients who are on triple regimen are advised to take extra precaution or to avoid operating machine...
 (Total 123 words)
I completely agree with jeniffer. One's age should not be a determining factor of his/her ability to drive. Chronological age is merely a number that says how many years the person has been living. It does not accurately represent the health status. There are people at their forties and fifties who are in no way fit for driving due to various reasons such as poor vision, muscle incoordination and hearing impairment. There are also some people aged 75+ who can drive better than we do. So inst...
 (Total 110 words)
I think that just really depends on the stubbornness of the individual and not their age. If we are basing on not wanting to obey road rules that should be for everyone. To base on setting a cut off for age should depend on their health status like everyone else such as eyesight, mental alertness or of sound mind and the sort. I have seen a lot of people over 65 who are excellent drivers. They should stop driving if their health gets in the way and not because they are over 65 period. Though if ...
 (Total 133 words)