General
Scientists have set a new record for data transmission using li-fi

Scientists have set a new record for data transmission using li-fi

Shared by:

Back in November, a wireless technology called li-fi made a splash, proving to be 100 times faster than average wi-fi speeds in its first 'real world' tests.

www.sciencealert.com

20 Aug 2016 - General

Virgilio Montero It did't occur to me that LiFi itself will have that limitation. You are right, transmission of light can be easily obscured by obstacles in our homes. A normal WiFi router sitting in one of the rooms can give internet to the whole house. But with this technology the devices will have to be within a closer radius to the router. And amount of reflection of light from the walls and ceiling will...
 (Total 104 words)
Correct, we have been using this for ages as well as more traditional methods like radio. Remember however light and radio waves are the same speed, and without anything to block the signal both are very useful. Radio just let's us be far less precise in aiming.Down here on earth there is constant things that block light that radio waves pass straight through. phones wont have emitters, in order for those to function they would need to be far too bright or a room sensor to pickup, wifi for u...
 (Total 134 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto I could say the same about internet in my country a year or 2 ago, but recently one of our internet service providers introduced a new fiber optic technology that gives internet speeds up to 100 mbps. It's 100 mbps in theory but still I can get a stable 60-70 mbps download speed out of it and a full HD movie can be downloaded in a few minutes. But the problem is they only provide a limi...
 (Total 115 words)
Being able to light up the house with all sorts of fancy colours, and have a super fast wireless network from the same gadget sounds like an awesome idea! -- ME TOO! Haha. Right now, with the current state of connectivity in the Philippines, I would go for anything that basically improves what we have. Of course it has to be affordable too. Right now what we have is just frustrating. It's expensive and my foreigner friends who visit the country laugh at it and joke, "It's like I'...
 (Total 148 words)
I think Li-fi indeed has a lot of potential, and I wouldn't complain on a very vibrant home during the holidays Theekshana Abayawickrama :)

but more than that, I'm not surprised that new advancements in technology are introduced to us ever so often and I wouldn't be surprised either that Li-Fi will be used by developers to create something awesome and hopefully would provide more convenience ...
 (Total 70 words)
I think Li-fi indeed has a lot of potential, and I wouldn't complain on a very vibrant home during the holidays Theekshana Abayawickrama :)

but more than that, I'm not surprised that new advancements in technology are introduced to us ever so often and I wouldn't be surprised either that Li-Fi will be used by developers to create something awesome and hopefully would provide more convenience ...
 (Total 70 words)
Being able to light up the house with all sorts of fancy colours, and have a super fast wireless network from the same gadget sounds like an awesome idea! :D Just joking, I don't think the light effect of li-fi would be really noticeable. If it is, it's going to be a waste of energy and also a real nuisance. Would any of you like a rainbow in your homes? In most home wireless speed is bottlenecked by the ultta slow internet speeds, so we might not be able to make a big advantage of this ...
 (Total 116 words)