General

In the era of Dr. Google, a call to bring 'art' back to medicine

Created by:

21 Aug 2016 - General

Dr. Google is certainly not perfect. I've been communicating with patients over the Internet principally through my websites. Having established this; Dr. Google can NOT examine the patient. This is what protects physicians from Dr. Google. Don't forget the power of an exam. Dr. Google can create a differential diagnosis, but the examination and YOUR experience will conclude with a diagnosis. Not to worry, you're expertise and knowledge is protected. "Build it and They Will Co...
 (Total 327 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama and what did you do with this situation? :D I'm sure you were so composed while listening to the lady's request. Did she go home happy? :) Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan, as you've said and I second the motion, online search engines such as google are useful if used properly and only to improve kno...
 (Total 110 words)
The involvement of patients with their own health may be well and good, but again when taken to self-diagnosis, may pose a threat to the patient themselves. I think online health resources should only be used by patients to gain more information about their condition. It’s great that Google will mention that the patient has to seek professional medical care. The “Ask a doctor” I think basically intends to provide personalized information to patients by providing a physician to speak with the pat...
 (Total 122 words)
I have seen so many people who have taken medical advice from Dr, Google. There's so much information available online now so that people make their own diagnosis, do the investigations they they think are necessary and even self medicate. Once I met this lady who talked to me just to get a prescription written. She said, 'doctor I have this condition so I need to take these drugs but the pharmacist won't prescribe the drugs without a doctor's prescription so can you please write...
 (Total 111 words)