General

Diabetes: Patients' Perspective

Created by:

21 Aug 2016 - General

photo from apassionforscience.pbworks.com

Diabetes is one of the most common lifestyle-related diseases. Almost half of the patients we will encounter, regardless of the medical field, will have this medical condition. Our mentors have repeatedly reminded that the symptoms to look out for potential diabetic patients are the three P's: Polyphagia, Polydipsia, Polyuria. However, the symptoms of diabetics are certainly not limited to these common symptoms. Most of patients that I have encountered have stated the following symptoms:

• Chills that are usually associated with hypoglycemia
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness (usually with hypoglycemia)
  • Numbness all over the body that are usually associated with hyperglycemia
  • Inability to recognize faces/ slow cognition (usually with hyperglycemia)
  • Dry lips/ mouth
  • Dry tongue with abrasive feeling (as if there is salt) when the tongue makes contact with the floor of the mouth
  • Numb hands and feet or tingling sensation over these areas (for long-term diabetics)

It would be better if everyone shared some of the symptoms that diabetic patients mentioned in the MIMS community. I hope everyone chips in! 

Although patients acknowledged the role of weight and eating causes of diabetes, they found it difficult to put this knowledge into practice. Dietitian counseling therefore seems to be much more than the rational exchange of information. As a consequence, Doctors should explore their patients’ capabilities of self-management in open communication and accept their wish to protect nutrition as part of their culture. In the end they can only acknowledge that the control of diabetes management rest...
 (Total 115 words)
I also often encounter patients who complain of light headedness, dizziness, numbness of hands and feet. Polyuria and polydipsia are the symptoms but people describe that in several different ways. These are some other complains that I have heard from my patients.
*I have to get up from bed several times at night to go to the wash room. It was not like that before.
*I have this tiny wound in my foot for several weeks now. I didn't pay much attention because it does not hurt much.
 (Total 107 words)