General
Reducing back pain starts with emptying your bag

Reducing back pain starts with emptying your bag

Shared by:

Back pain is a very common problem that affects 60 to 80% of the general population at some point in their life - including healthcare professionals, who spend a good deal of time on our feet. While most sufferers will recover from their injury within 6 weeks, others are unresponsive to treatment or have pain that persists well beyond 12 weeks. This then leads to chronic back pain.

today.mims.com

22 Aug 2016 - General

I don't believe the purpose of this article is to conclude that the main and only cause of back pain is from incorrect bag holding. It was more to highlight that a simple daily task of carrying your bag everywhere can contribute to chronic and acute back pain. I am a bit late coming to this discussion, but just wanted to reiterate that yes, there are a number of causes leading to back pain such as incorrect posture, incorrect lifting, sports injury, lack of exercise etc. This is probably why...
 (Total 141 words)
I have back pain on and off sometimes it is just great to take a break and lie down on a flat surface and let it rest. I usually go for massages to reduce the pain. That is the thing, massages are temporary. It gives you a relief for half a day and there it comes back again. Not to mention the long hours of standing and walking in the ER. Sometimes lifting a patient heavier then us also contributes to the aching getting worst. I once lifted a patient 3 times my body size out of a cab, he was sta...
 (Total 147 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto Like you, I too cannot survive with a small bag. And yes, it all began in college when we were required to be ready with all our heavy reference books. In the academe, I have always needed to bring my laptop to prepare lectures and notes during any free time. And yes, I know that a backpack is a more practical idea, but, I felt quite ridiculous with that as I had to wear slacks and a suitabl...
 (Total 193 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto I think the new generation should switch to electronic media. One tablet, like the kindle or iPad can be used to replace all the textbooks, so children will only have to carry their tablet with them when they come to school. I believe there are some schools that have switched to electronic devices. I remember seeing an article once but I can't seem to recall where it was. Nowadays tablet...
 (Total 110 words)
Virgilio Montero I also have been in the same situation. Early days, when I first purchased my laptop it came with a side bag. I used to carry it with me everyday, and it was a bit hard on my shoulder but I didn't care of it much since I felt there was no other way to make it feel any lighter. Then when I had to buy another bag, I thought I would go with a backpack and bought myself one. That is when I reali...
 (Total 117 words)
Oh yes Theekshana Abayawickrama, the kids nowadays are so pitiful with their massive bags. They're mostly using trolleys, but they're quite massive and filled with most of their books. I don't know what they have to take them home all the time. I feel so bad for them. Some of them are very small and their bags are bigger than them--you're right, they can even fit inside. ...
 (Total 81 words)
I have to carry around a laptop for work and quickly found that a traditional shoulder bag is too painful and a traditional backpack is much more supportive. I have a backpack and appreciate the simple style with just enough compartments in the smaller zippered section for smaller items like cell phone, wallet, pens, and lip balm. My problem isn’t with disorganization or too much random clutter in my backpack, just that I am a bookworm who still refuses to switch to e-reader and average 3 books ...
 (Total 128 words)
This is a problem I have seen among many school children. Working in a children's hospital, I see many children coming with huge bags and backpacks. I often make jokes saying, "I could put you in your bag and there would still be more room left" :) When I was going to school, we also had heavy text book. And many of those were needed both at home and at school, so for many the only option was to take them home and bring to school the next day. My mother is a teacher, so she was abl...
 (Total 129 words)
But I cannot survive with a small bag--and now, how ridiculous would I look lugging a backpack? Hihi. Anyway, this all started in College. I had the bag that always had everything (my own school supplies store) you could even ask me for stapler, puncher and tape dispenser. Haha.

Nowadays, my I bring with me two bags. A main bag that contains my essentials--and another bag that contains my gadgets (ipad, laptop, chargers) and coloring book essentials. The only time you will see me with ...
 (Total 227 words)