General
Outsourcing mental powers comes at a cost

Outsourcing mental powers comes at a cost

Shared by:

We may rely on our smartphones for reminders, our tablets for note-taking, our computer for calculating. This is known as “cognitive offloading”. When used in moderation, it provides benefits; but when over utilised, could harm our brain function.

today.mims.com

24 Aug 2016 - General

It was a just a matter of when before people will discuss if technology has made us dumb. I am guilty of Googling too much sometimes instead of forcefully retrieving information the good old conventional way, Cognitive loading, as with technology, when used as an ally can work wonders. It removes worries from us as it brings our contemplated actions into plans. This allows us to work with a clear mind for major tasks. However, cognitive offloading shall not be used as an excuse for not reading t...
 (Total 154 words)
I agree with Leothel Elysse Mayores that there should be a balance between cognitive offloading and remembering details. This can be explained by theories on neuroplasticity. The less you rely on your cognitive abilities, most likely you will also form less synapses or connectomes. Cognitive offloading is useful for details that we do not need to really remember. For example, listing down items for grocery, sett...
 (Total 157 words)
I just made a quick evaluation on how dependent I am on my smartphone when it comes to offloading. It seems as if all my schedules, notes, and other important info is there! It is very convenient and I just can't remember all that along with the other stuff I have to remember. But I guess time management tools can be very helpful (and essential for some) for offloading. It makes more time for people for activities that can help stretch then cognitive processes such as studying or practicing ...
 (Total 120 words)
That really was interesting and I can attest to that when it comes to using GPS. When you are so reliant on the GPS in your car you will not remember on your own on how to get to a certain destination. I believe I have pretty good geographical skills and if you remove the GPS I can easily find my way around with the use of a regular map. Though when GPS takes over I become dependent and need to hold its hand to bring to places. I understand how outsourcing makes us potentially "dumb" b...
 (Total 148 words)
An interesting read! Though the article says that cognitive offloading - or passing on the burden of remembering some things or details - comes at a price, I think it is a must that we do offloading in one way or another, so as to decrease the stress we experience, especially in the fast-paced health care field. A downside to this is that the more you do cognitive offloading, the more difficult it will be to remember details later on, much like a muscle that would atrophy when unused. However, a...
 (Total 138 words)