General

Memorable Power Nap Stories

Created by:

24 Aug 2016 - General

photo from pt.wikihow.com

Catching shuteye has been a guilty pleasure of medical professionals in the hospital. Forty winks feel like a million bucks for me whenever I get that ever-elusive power nap, especially during my clerkship/ internship years. No amount of java can simply mimic the added bounce to the step that napping brings. However, catching those naps has its consequences. I remember a memorable story about getting caught napping as if it happened earlier. I was from a 30-hour shift during clerkship when we were summoned into the conference room to discuss a case. Since my duty load was heavy the previous shift, my eyelids could just not stay open. Eventually I dozed off until I felt a violent tap on my back. It was my seatmate telling me to go into the podium because the moderator saw me dozing off. My forehead still showed evidence of power napping when the doctor asked me a question about losing potassium during vomiting. I answered the question calmly and smiled. Lo and behold, I received the stare of disappointment for a full ten seconds from the moderator.  Then, she proceeded to tell me that it was the same exact answer that my classmate gave a good minute ago. My face turned red in an instant and whatever pick me-upper that power nap provided was suddenly gone. Of course, I got a good ribbing (and still do) from my friends whenever this moment comes up.

To the MIMS community, what is your memorable power nap story?

Theekshana Abayawickrama: "Hello everyone. My name is Jennifer Winter and I am a coffee addict." haha but ya I tend to get headaches when I don't have my regular caffeine dose. I only drink two mugs a day though so its within limits ;). Ah selective hearing. Yes I have that as well and it doesn't work for sleeping alone. That just shows that when we are in the hospital we are not in deep sleep an...
 (Total 96 words)
Jennifer Winter Your words sound like they are coming from a caffeine addict! Haha just joking :D When you so get used to coffee, it loses that magical ability to reset the brain. There's an interesting thing that's going on in our subconscious. Don't think if it's right to generalize but it happens to me. Usually when I go to bed, I don't wake up from noises that are not supposed to make me w...
 (Total 112 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama: I need coffee to live. I can drink coffee before bed time and it wouldn't really affect me. I need coffee though to keep me from getting cranky. Unlike you, I unfortunately easily wake up so if there was some noise even minimal I shall wake up, but I will easily catch sleep again. We have been having a number of after shocks some time ago and I would wake up to every single one. Despi...
 (Total 99 words)
Mark Edmon Tan A coffee most of the times gives me a boost when I'm tired. I love coffee and it can keep me running for an extra hour or two when I am exhausted. The only time a coffee can't keep me awake is when I'm studying. I can drink 10 cups of coffee and still fall asleep staring at a text book :D Jennifer Winter...
 (Total 118 words)
I could sleep anywhere as well Theekshana Abayawickrama. I think this might just be a special power we have. I can easily fall asleep and it is easy to wake me up as well. My funniest power nap story so far is when I was a clerk rotating in OB. I was holding the cloth to catch the baby in and I was standing behind the consultant. The mother was taking ages to deliver as the pedia resident was already sitting on th...
 (Total 197 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan Oh blood shot eyes and that red mark on the forehead from sleeping are really embarrassing for patients to see. Nurse supervisors really do check on the nurse on duty for attendance and alertness. Hell hath no fury for a nurse caught sleeping during their shift. Haha. Theekshana Abayawickrama I see that you h...
 (Total 137 words)
Speaking of power naps, I can relate to many awkward moments I have had after falling asleep in the wrong place. I have a very low threshold for dozing off, and when it's combined with a hard days work, I can fall asleep almost on any place on earth. One time I was driving and I had to stop at the traffic lights. it must have been 60 seconds at most, and I had dozed off in the middle of the road. A few seconds later I woke up for a strange noise on top of my radio. It was the horning of the ...
 (Total 141 words)
Such interesting stories. For my case I think I don't have that memorable power nap stories because we tend not to go on naps during night shift. I get to have power naps whenever I am so tired for the day before coming on duty. Like for example going out with friends and I wasn't able to rest before going on duty, this doze me off while working. Most embarrassing naps could be sleeping at the counter and suddenly a responsible folk will come close to you and ask for some hot water seein...
 (Total 167 words)
That was embarrassing Mark Edmon Tan ! When I was a first year general surgery resident, I fell asleep inside the operating room while I'm waiting for the next patient. I was from-duty and its already my 4th case for the day. I was the usual resident - tired, sleepy and hungry. But instead of going out of the OR to have a bite, I decided to wait inside the OR for my next case --- and took a short nap. I rem...
 (Total 186 words)