General

The Specialty Puzzle

Created by:

24 Aug 2016 - General

photo from onthewards.org

What specialty interests you most? This is probably the hardest question to answer during medical school. Even months of rotation to the major and minor departments, pitches from residents, and impressive rounds with consultants does not seemingly help in making a decision. For the minority who knew what fields they would like to explore, you are very lucky to not ponder about your chosen field. I always knew that I would go into either Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) or Orthopedic Surgery when I entered medical school. These two fields required exquisite mastery of a favorite subject - anatomy and would be related to my undergraduate degree. I always had PM&R at the back of my head but wanted to try my fit with orthopedics too. I was able to decide on what field to choose during my internship year as I took orthopedics for my elective rotation. During the middle of the rotation, I felt that it was not something I could do for the long haul; hence, I ended with my first choice - PM&R.

For the MIMS community, how did you choose your respective fields and courses? Did you go with your gut or follow sound advice from parents/guardians?

I am not a Medical Doctor, but I tried to find my specialty and I got Psych--- HAHA! So now you know that I am a people person, don't like being vomited on (although patients have vomited on my hand, but I don't particularly enjoy it) and that I categorize my friends into personalities. Haha. This is really fun! Jennifer Winter ---LOL, but yes it means you are going to be a brilliant mother! Anyway, I'...
 (Total 110 words)
Wow! I got ER, but It's not even one of my options. I'm thinking OB or Psych, but it can change anytime, especially hospital rotations are coming up next semester. Every time we have a new Block, I seem to change my mind. We are currently in our Musculoskeletal Block and have been exposed to all the PE and Diseases. It is fun! I might just consider it, but then again, I guess hospital rotation will really help in the decision process. I wonder how other doctors in out community made thei...
 (Total 94 words)
Wow! I got ER, but It's not even one of my options. I'm thinking OB or Psych, but it can change anytime, especially hospital rotations are coming up next semester. Every time we have a new Block, I seem to change my mind. We are currently in our Musculoskeletal Block and have been exposed to all the PE and Diseases. It is fun! I might just consider it, but then again, I guess hospital rotation will really help in the decision process. I wonder how other doctors in out community made thei...
 (Total 94 words)
 (Total 94 words)
 (Total 94 words)