General
A series of unfortunate events: Father-to-be ‘accidentally’ gets surgery while awaiting birth of child

A series of unfortunate events: Father-to-be ‘accidentally’ gets surgery while awaiting birth of child

Shared by:

In a case of mistaken identity, a man waiting anxiously for the birth of his baby outside a hospital ward was ushered into an operating theatre and given a haemorrhoid operation.

today.mims.com

25 Aug 2016 - General

Well, what happens in my hospital is similar to what Marinelle has mentioned. We need to be extra careful when dealing with paediatric surgical patients,because one mistake for example removing the healthy testis, causing a urethral or oesophageal stricture, or leaving a disfiguring scar can ruin the entire life of growing child who has 50-60 years more to live. The moment a child leaves the ward until he comes back to his/her bed after surgery, the child is under the care of a nursing officer. ...
 (Total 119 words)
I was gonna say, how could they have operated on him if he didn't have hemorrhoids? So I guess he was lucky in a way because he did have hemorrhoids and did no just get the surgery for free, he also got paid to have it done. Of course it was awful that he received it in such a way, but he it's over and done with and if I were him I'd feel myself really lucky. Haha. I wonder what he was thinking when his pants were being taken off---it's so weird that he went along with it. Even i...
 (Total 138 words)
Come to think of it the story gets even stranger the more I ponder on the details. So the real patient wasn't admitted, is being treated as an out patient and was just sitting somewhere in the common waiting room? I wonder how much of this story was sensationalized for the sake of writing an interesting read but I like you, Marinelle Castro, would like to hear from someone who has experienced the medical syst...
 (Total 183 words)
Wow that truly did sound like something from a movie. It is strange that Mr. Wang did not question him having to take off his pants and get on the OR table but then again when people are not well informed they tend to trust the health care professional blindly. The situation that jumped into my head upon reading this is the demo on how to use a condom. The health care professional is instructing to the patient on their finger on how to put on a condom. The patient returns complaining that he got...
 (Total 181 words)
Things like this are avoidable. Ignorance is common in mankind, but to this extent of doing procedures on wrong patients is hilarious. The person doing the procedure should not even be a doctor or a nurse! Negligence is a very serious offence in medical where a personnel could get fired or worst, having his license revoked from practicing. Personally it happened in Singapore where a lot of them lost their practicing license. I am not sure if China or Great Britain is practicing this similar cha...
 (Total 201 words)
Yes it does feel like watching a comedy film while reading this article. Funny but something to learn a lesson from. As WHO has advised Theatre staff have to follow the WHO Surgical checklist to help prevent events such as this to happen. Signing in, Time out etc should be done no matter how minor the case is and should never be taken for granted. Also, Britain has been mentioned in the article, "Also taking place in Britain, the wrong lens was fitted to the wrong patient" - I assume ...
 (Total 149 words)
Accidents do happen but this one is really unbelievable. How could they not even confirm if Mr. Wang was indeed the patient scheduled for hemorrhoidectomy. This is just sad for any father who wishes to see his newborn. Seeing your newborn is the most beautiful experience in the world. You see a little human whose flesh and blood runs the same as yours and your wife. Definitely, missing out on the childbirth and not being able to carry the child right away is not worth $753. As for the patient, ...
 (Total 122 words)
Getting a haemorrhoidectomy done and getting paid back $753 for the surgery, and his wife giving birth to his child (I guess the hospital did not bill him for the hospital charges for the delivery either) all on one day! haha he just had the best day of his life! :D Mess ups happen in the theater, but this is so badly messed up. Why on earth would any sane person accidentally walk in to the operation theater, remove their pants and have a proctoscope put up in their rectum without asking a singl...
 (Total 106 words)
Marinelle Castro Holy sh*t! Really unbelievable! I've never heard of the same situation too in our locality. What is the problem with you guys?! This hospital must undergo quality check and must follow an SOP before performing operations. In our hospital even though patients are ambulatory, they are accompanied by nurses and placed into stretcher. We do comply the so called COBOS. C- consent; O- OR informed; ...
 (Total 171 words)
This is unbelievable! I thought this just happens in movies, but it happens in real life! I've never heard of a similar situation happening in Manila or even the entire Philippines. This is infrequent because its very unusual to be ushered inside the operating room, and be asked to disrobe! Isn't it standard practice to do a time-out? If anyone here is from China or is familiar with surgical practice in that region, can you please enlighten us on this? Aside from the hassle of getting a ...
 (Total 126 words)