General
CONFIRMED: An Earth-like planet has been found in our closest neighbouring star system

CONFIRMED: An Earth-like planet has been found in our closest neighbouring star system

Shared by:

European Southern Observatory (ESO) officials have finally confirmed that they have discovered a new exoplanet candidate named Proxima b inside the habitable zone of Proxima Centauri - a red dwarf star in our closest neighbouring star system, Alpha...

www.sciencealert.com

25 Aug 2016 - General

It would be nice to know that we can now broaden the range of holiday destinations. This is great news to know that there is a planet like earth. But my concern is more of the suitability of a human form to live there in general. Like the water supply, electricity, etc. Although far, it is possible to start a new planet like earth there. Next thing is IF scientist and whoever they are, have confirmed that we can have life there, how are they going to start building there. They have to take into ...
 (Total 157 words)
Jennifer Winter Haha that is exactly what I did. Okay 9.4 trillion says how big it is so no need for you to play with the calculator anymore. :D Really, I did not know that. I couldn't helpp but look at the vision of the recently announced Chan Zuckerberg Initiative. It says The aim of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is to "advance human potential and promote equality in areas such as health, education, s...
 (Total 105 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama haha I can just see you grinning at me and my math skills haha. You have to give me a little credit there :D I tried to figure out how long it may take to get there by converting one light year to kilometers. It obviously can't fit on my calculator and I didn't want to hurt my brain by converting the numbers any more. 4.2 light years just means it will take a loooooooonnnnggg time ...
 (Total 124 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto About 360 video feeds, really? Is Mark Zuckerberg going to invest in this? Well that is understandable. In a few years, every person on this planet would be a facebook user, so thinking about expansion to an alien civilization is a brilliant idea! :D Jennifer Winter I like how you turned 4 into 2 million and ...
 (Total 119 words)
Maria Cristina Inserto "If that time comes that Earth inhabitants have to migrate to a healthier planet, it is going to be more convenient." Haha. If only it didn't take 4+ years to get there! :D I think it is impossible to reach the speed of light, but if we were able to reach a speed closer to, which I hope we will, traveling to this planet would indeed be possible without the need of hibernation ...
 (Total 118 words)
I just read that if we scale down the astronomical unit to one inch the Earth-Sun distance would be 1.6km and the Earth-Alpha Centauri distance would be 7km with the next closest star Sirius at 14.5km. Ok just to have small attempt at math here: One light year is 63,000 astronomical units and one astronomical unit is 8 minutes in light distance. Proxima b is 4.2 lights year away making it 2,116,800 light minutes away from us.So near yet so far. Just like the Jupiter mission this is just amazing...
 (Total 139 words)
Wow! This is brilliant news--and just 4 light years away, it easier to study and if that time comes that Earth inhabitants have to migrate to a healthier planet, it is going to be more convenient. Hopefully, further studies reveal more positive news, as things seem all too good to be true. This gives us some hope, given just what we were discussing recently, about our planet having no way to turn back anymore. It's really amazing news. I'm sure we'll learn exciting things about Proxi...
 (Total 111 words)
Every now and then we hear that scientists discovered a planet that could possibly be harbouring life. Here's the most recent news that adds another planet to the list of planets that are potentially capable of having life. "European Southern Observatory (ESO) officials have confirmed that they have discovered a new exoplanet candidate named Proxima b inside the habitable zone of Proxima Centauri - a red dwarf star in our closest neighbouring star system, Alpha Centauri." What make...
 (Total 124 words)