General
Not all NSAIDs are created equal: How do they differ?

Not all NSAIDs are created equal: How do they differ?

Shared by:

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or NSAIDs, are widely used to treat pain and inflammation due to their documented efficacies. There are at least half a dozen of different types of NSAIDs available, and each one comes in different strengths and forms - and as pharmacists, you should be aware of each and every one.

today.mims.com

26 Aug 2016 - General

Anti inflammatory drugs are two types. Steroids and non steroids. When there is an ongoing inflammation those two types involve in reducing the inflammatory action. The main side effect and the widely known one is gastro-intestinal irritating effect. It deteriorates the tendency of bleeding into the gasto-intestinal tract and makes acute gastritis worsen. Meloxicam, Diclofenac sodium and aspirin are well known to cause gastro-intestinal bleeding. Celecoxib is the the drug among all the NSAIDs wh...
 (Total 124 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan I forgot to mention hypersensitivity to NSAIDs. This is a common side effect. Patients do not know if they are allergic to pain medications. Some would come back because of pruritus while others opt to go to the emergency room in our hospital. This has to be always documented that the patient denied allergies to medications. In my experience, a patient will have some reaction to selec...
 (Total 125 words)
Such issues brought up in these comments are so true. NSAIDs have a lot of side effects, some even dangerous, which patients may not be aware of. Aside from checking co-morbidities, we also have to check for other medications the patient is taking, such as those that increase the risk of hemorrhage as these drugs’ effects may be augmented by NSAIDs. Also, not all NSAIDs are appropriate for children, as they may cause certain adverse reactions like Reye’s syndrome and Stevens-Johnson’s syndrome. ...
 (Total 116 words)
NSAIDs have long been popular for providing pain relief despite its notable side effects such as GI bleeding (non-selective) and cardiovascular events (selective). GI bleeding is a risk because the prostaglandins responsible for gastric cytoprotection becomes inhibited. Cardiovascular events are usually a risk for selective NSAIDs because blocking antithrombotic prostacyclins induce a prothrombotic state. In my clinical experience, I ask for co-morbidities such as hypertension, kidney disease, d...
 (Total 145 words)
Yeah gastrointestinal side effects are the commonest side effect I have come across with the use of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. People take this medication to get rid of a pain or ache that has been bothering them, but instead of getting a relief, they end up having a totally different problem. NSAID induced gastritis or peptic ulcer disease. There are newer groups of NSAIDs that have less gastrointestinal side effects, but they are generally also more expensive. It is common practice...
 (Total 113 words)
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) in general is a quite effective type of analgesic to control pain for patients. It has been on the market for a long time, and a lot of its side effects are well known to healthcare professionals. NSAIDS can cause gastrointestinal side effect like gastrointestinal bleeding, peptic ulcer disease, dyspepsia, renal failure, liver injury, increased risk of adverse cardiovascular event (non selective NSAIDS). Different type of NSAID may contribute to diffe...
 (Total 136 words)