General
The first human head transplant: Are we really ready?

The first human head transplant: Are we really ready?

Shared by:

Valery Spiridonov, a 30-year-old Russian computer scientist suffers from a degenerative muscle condition known as Werdnig-Hoffman. It is a rare form of spinal muscular atrophy that causes his muscles to waste away and there is currently no known cure for it.

today.mims.com

26 Aug 2016 - General

The last statement definitely makes sense: "If Canavero really had found a revolutionary technique to reconnect the spinal cord, then why not apply it to people with spinal cord injury before attempting a head transplant?" The article said that the previous experiments on the monkey were successful but it was done without fusing the spinal cords, so perhaps if he claims that he's found a way to really fuse the cords to complete his "transplants" then he'd do better go...
 (Total 140 words)
Huh! This is such a wow and an amazing invention? But too risky as well! Indeed nothing is really impossible nowadays. This is a very dangerous thing to the life of the being? I am kind of a curious what kind of body work up does a patient need to undergo before being cleared with the surgery? What laboratories and you know other necessary things that need to be taken into consideration. This entails a lot of money and of course this can lead you to death man! Have you ever imagined putting your...
 (Total 141 words)
Gosh! What are the Russian scientist up to now? This gives me a visual of the zombies kind of thing. Scary and probably unethical. First of all who is willing to sacrifice his/ her body for a price and live with a new or probably not at all. It does demonstrate the vast advancement of technology but this is too extreme to be imagined. How can they guarantee that there are enough blood supply to the brain when decapitated and how about the immobility of the patient for a month or so, how can they...
 (Total 169 words)
I feel that the proposed transplant is more likely to be a pipedream than a medical breakthrough. First, what happened to evidence-based medicine? The surgeon proposed to use a glue that has no supporting evidence that it will hold the nerves together and not trigger an immunologic reaction. Second, the spinal cord is a complex structure composed of ascending and descending tracts. Can we really expect this tracts to just function seamlessly with the use of a glue? Third, nerves will be resected...
 (Total 137 words)
I posted about this topic last month. I agree with all neuroscientists who criticize this procedure. First of all, how can a bioglue work establish a reconnection in the spinal cord? Neural tissue is not similar to paper that you can just glue back together. Apparently the function of the nervous system is highly dependent on its connections --- which this 'neurosurgeon' plans to sever in the process of doing a head transplant. Aside from this, I doubt if immunosuppressants will work on ...
 (Total 144 words)
I would say the proposed “Head Transplant” is still a medical myth, and does not feel the operation will be able to go ahead. There are still a lot of medical, technical, practical and ethical issues around this “Head Transplant”. Technically, will the proposed, untested of using polyethylene glycol to fuse the nerves work?? Can the new head control the rest of the new body? What are the anti-rejection regimens that can be used to prevent rejection? Ethically, what will be the identity of the pe...
 (Total 154 words)