General
The incredible, edible battery

The incredible, edible battery

Shared by:

Edible batteries one day could power ingestible medical devices designed to diagnose and treat health conditions, researchers told attendees and the press at the 252nd National Meeting and Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS; Washington, DC) in Philadelphia this week.

www.plasticstoday.com

27 Aug 2016 - General

The moment I read the title, I was thinking to myself. Why on earth would anyone want to eat a battery. When I started to read the full article only I realise how much of a difference it can make. Ingestible medical devices have been playing a big role in diagnosis and treatment of diseases mainly in the gastrointestinal tract, and they are increasingly becoming popular over endoscopic and other more invasive procedures. The batteries that are currently used can be toxic to the body if they rema...
 (Total 106 words)
This is awesome! They are now producing batteries from naturally occurring substances such as melanin and possibly pectin in the future. It becomes easier to convince patients to do procedures using these products since the products have low toxicity. If this product becomes successful, it could boost further progress in endoscopy and colonoscopy. We could identify the food triggers that cause esophageal reflux or trigger IBS because of the long battery power of these products. Also, it can tran...
 (Total 104 words)