General
7 ways for doctors to stay motivated

7 ways for doctors to stay motivated

Shared by:

Being a doctor is almost akin to getting onto a roller coaster blindfolded, without definitively knowing the end point. How you handle the crucial moments will truly define and mould you as the kind of doctor you can be.

today.mims.com

27 Aug 2016 - General

Mark Edmon Tan "Tough love" Haha. That's a nice way to put it. And I totally agree with your saying. "The opposite of love is not hate but indifference" If someone hates us that means at least he/she at least thinks about us. It is when someone doesn't care that we feel left out. I have had a few consultants during my rotations as a medical student, who didn't teach us anything. We...
 (Total 129 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama I share the same sentiments with you. I also enjoy "tough love" from my mentors because you could really feel their desire to mold you into the doctor they envision you to be. As the saying goes, the opposite of love is not hate but indifference. This is why I don't think a tough approach is concerning but an indifferent mentor is. The seniors demand perfection because they p...
 (Total 149 words)
Mark Edmon Tan I have met many of those sandpaper like mentors in my life, and the most important lessons in my life, the ones that are tough and unforgettable, but at the same time enjoyable, I have learnt from them. When you get scolded by a senior for something you didn't do, you feel really down, and you think to yourself, 'however much I do they are always there to find faults with my work' It is...
 (Total 103 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama Thank you for sharing your insight. You are correct. We should have a mindset that we will not get discouraged or denied to achieve our goal. Residency training has a really steep learning curve and we will go through a rollercoaster of emotions to finish it. What is important will be to take the good with the bad and learn from our mistakes. After all, we are here to learn to become great...
 (Total 120 words)
Marinelle Castro I see where you are coming from as I am a resident too. I remember getting some time to chat with our hospital director, a fellow Thomasian, when I was appointed. She told me that the tasks in residency will never be commensurate to the salary and to always remember that we are in the hospital for training. You are correct in saying that we should celebrate accomplishments regardless of how big ...
 (Total 105 words)
"The road is long on the path to become a consultant" I couldn't agree with you more. Reaching the highest stage at any profession is not an easy task. It requires a lot of hard work and dedication. In the field of medicine particularly, the journey can be very very tough, so staying motivated throughout is very important. The article is nicely written, and out of the 7 ways mentioned, I believe number one is the most important part. Keep the end in mind. We have to dream where we...
 (Total 119 words)
As the saying goes, "There's a light at the end of the tunnel." I think visualizing a successful endpoint helps me in keeping myself motivated through residency. Although the financial compensation is not commensurate with the amount of time and effort that I give into hospital work, I really enjoy what I do and I am happy with the interpersonal relationships that I have established in my workplace. Whenever I feel stressed out from work, its always helpful to spend time with some ...
 (Total 110 words)
The road is long on the path to become a consultant. 10 years of studying to get the license to practice and 3 to 6 years of residency training can take its toll on any doctor. This article provides suggestions on how to stay motivated despite the long toll of pursuing a medical career. Let us always look at the big picture when times get rough. Reflect on why and how you got to this path whenever you experience self-doubt. More importantly, rest away from work. Take a trip be it local or intern...
 (Total 117 words)