General
Insulin pill could make diabetes treatment 'ouchless'

Insulin pill could make diabetes treatment 'ouchless'

Shared by:

Millions of Americans with diabetes have to inject themselves regularly with insulin to manage their blood-sugar levels. But scientists are developing a new way of administering the medicine orally with tiny vesicles that can deliver insulin where it needs to go without a shot.

www.sciencedaily.com

28 Aug 2016 - General

Mark Edmon Tan Yeah, sad to know that we are all far behind as a continent. I don't know, maybe other developed countries in Asia like Japan might be using this form of insulin. Hope someone will enlighten us once they get to know. Thank you Marinelle for bringing this to our attention. As Mark said, if it wasn't for this post, we would still be unaware that an inhalable form of insulin ever exists. ...
 (Total 106 words)
I appreciate all the inputs! Seems like the inhalable form of insulin is not yet available in Asia. So out of curiosity I've done some research. Afrezza is not the first inhalable insulin that was made available in the Western Market. Back in 2006, Pfizer produced the first inhalable insulin, marketed as Exubera. However, due to some safety concerns, the drug was pulled out from the market. Then last year, Sanofi launched Afrezza, but it had a dispute with the drug developer because Sanofi d...
 (Total 168 words)
An Chau Thank you for sharing your knowledge with the topic. I knew that pulmonary side effects were not yet concretely documented but was not aware that there were contrainidications for the drug already. Is it also contraindicated for diabetics who have asthma? Though the main selling points of Afrezza would be convenience and painless administration, I think that what makes it special is the rapid administrati...
 (Total 118 words)
Hello Mark Edmon Tan , no release date has been set for Afrezza inhaled insulin for Australia, according to Diabetes Australia. The idea of Afrezza does seem promising, especially if it avoids hypoglycaemic side effects and is a more socially acceptable and convenient method of administration. Being another alternative for rapid-acting insulin, I think it definitely has a place in diabetes therapy. It's the i...
 (Total 203 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama Sad to know that Asia is far behind in the treatment of diabetes. If not for the excellent MIMS community post by Marinelle Castro , we would have not heard of inhalable insulin. As Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan has stated, th...
 (Total 152 words)
Oh sorry for the late response, I have had difficulty checking notifications lately. Yes, I've heard about inhalable insulin but I think it really hasn't reached the Philippine market yet. And like Marinelle Castro, I'm sure the price would be a big setback. I went over the link provided by Mark Edmon Tan, and seemingl...
 (Total 219 words)
Marinelle Castro Mark Edmon Tan Same here, it is the first time I'm hearing that an inhalable form of insulin was ever developed. My ignorance, I should start to read more. :D No inhalable insulin is not available yet in my country. Definitely not in government hospitals, and as far as I know not even in private hospitals. Ins...
 (Total 122 words)
Marinelle Castro I have never heard such as so called inhaled insulin. To be honest, this is the first time that I have ever heard that innovation. Such a wow! Really wow if the time will come that it will hit the Philippine market. At least if they get to inhale, the chances of lipodystrophy from having insulin shots can be lessen or be avoided. Thanks for sharing the article ...
 (Total 155 words)
Marinelle Castro Oh I thought that inhalable insulin was already available in the private institutions. Turns out it has not yet hit the Philippine market. I have read a forum on people who actually used the inhalable insulin. A few notable takeaways were as follows 1.) the units of inhalable and injectible insulin are not the same with a ratio of 2.5-3:4 respectively (one unit of inhalabe insulin = about 2/3 of...
 (Total 178 words)
Mark Edmon Tan I have no feedback yet on the inhalable insulin. Unfortunately, its not yet available in the Philippine market. If it is, im also sure that its going to be super expensive! Although i'm really hopeful that this new pill will be more affordable so that a lot of people would benefit. I also hope that its bioavailability is comparable to that of the long-acting insulin to improve patient complian...
 (Total 115 words)
Marinelle Castro I have not heard of feedback from use of inhalable short-acting insulin yet. Do you have any stories to share with its use? The line of drugs for the future of diabetes treatment is getting promising. First, glucosurics are now used for treatment (something we should now ask when interpreting urinalysis results). Then, this promising capsules of lipid-coated insulin that will be protected from th...
 (Total 117 words)
I hope this medication becomes available soon and I hope they will make it affordable so that a lot of people can benefit from this medication. One of the reasons why glycemic control is difficult to achieve among diabetic patients is because of poor compliance to medications --- especially if it will involve frequent painful injections. Its natural for patients to want to avoid painful treatments and I think if this medication will have a good safety and efficacy profile, soon injectable insuli...
 (Total 135 words)