General
Music 'reduces operation pain and anxiety'

Music 'reduces operation pain and anxiety'

Shared by:

If you're having an operation, researchers say listening to music before, during or after it can significantly reduce pain and anxiety.

www.webmd.boots.com

28 Aug 2016 - General

Mark Edmon Tan Yeah, I also have seen that there is a big resistance among patients for the use of subcutaneous insulin. I guess that's because people have seen and heard diabetics who reply on regular insulin injections, and how much of a trouble it brings to normal day to day activities. Often there are patients, whom when we advice of the need of injectable insulin for their blood sugar control ask us if t...
 (Total 113 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Yeah I also have the same experience. There are very tough consultants, from whom we get scolded on a daily basis, who act so cool inside the theater suit. They become overly friendly and never stops talking and at times they would even sing a song while doing a surgery. And then there are those, who are very kind and friendly outside, who become dead focused on the surgery, and they cannot stand e...
 (Total 109 words)
Back in college, we once performed music theraphy to our patients in private rooms and ward settings. Some of us (student nurses) are singing and some are playing guitar. During this time, we received positive feedback. Telling us that it really made them relax, made them comfortable and some of them joined us. From poker faces to their smiling faces. Music is really a cheap intervention. And i remember that i have a friend conducted a study on music theraphy before and after operations. As far ...
 (Total 123 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama Oh yes. Some consultants really have laser light focus when it comes to doing procedures. I know of a few consultants who have polar opposite personalities inside and outside the operating room. Do you experience the same with some of your mentors? I also work in the government hospital and speakers are not available in the ward or hallways. However, in private hospitals a faint instrument...
 (Total 223 words)
Music therapy has been showing promise in the field of medicine, and has also been shown to boost recovery and help patients cope better with their illnesses. In the case of surgery, it's great to know that music has been used already and has benefited both the surgeons (as per Dr. Mark Edmon Tan's comment) and the patients as well. I’ve also read somewhere that certain kinds of music, such as classical m...
 (Total 107 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Really, that's good to hear. Music inside wards and theaters is not common in hospitals in my country, at least not in the hospitals I have worked in. As far as I know, theater suits in most of the hospitals in my country are not even equipped with speaker systems. I guess that is because for some it can be a disturbance. I know of surgeons who don't like when other people even speak when t...
 (Total 122 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama I have been in numerous surgical procedures where there is background music. I think playing music allows the surgeon to sort of find his groove and pace. Usually, the anesthesiologist takes care of the playlist for the surgeon but no one changes the music once surgery is underway. I think this has long been a practice in the Philippines because my uncle, a surgeon in his early 50's, h...
 (Total 119 words)
Yeah it's really surprising to have this kind of innovation and a new approach in handling a patients undergoing invasive procedures. You better have a proposal in your hospital to implement this approach, don't you think this is helpful enough more than just treatments and medication? I don't know what type of music will soothe the mood of this young patients. As for us in our practice, we get to sing the OPM (Original Filipino/Pilipino Music) to our patients and most of the time, H...
 (Total 155 words)
Something to try in my hospital! Having soothing music in the background should really be a pleasant stimulus for the surgical team and the anesthetists. But I doubt how much scared little kid would be able to appreciate music. When we bring children above 8-9 months into the operating room, we allow the mother of the child to accompany him / her and let the mother be with the child holding the child's hand as he falls asleep on general anesthesia. I think at this point, as the child enters ...
 (Total 118 words)
I thought the article was intended for the surgeon's benefit but I am surprised that playing music would benefit the patient, especially if it was his/her own playlist. The benefits were evident before, during, and after a procedure. Music therapy has already been proven in other fields such as fitness where listening to music will make a person more likely to finish training. It is about time this is discussed in the medical setting. As for your question, it is common for surgeons or anesth...
 (Total 131 words)
Music therapy is indeed the language of the soul. It's never new to hear about how music is able to alleviate pain and suffering to patients. Not just patients who are undergoing surgery but also everyone who's admitted in the hospital. Can you tell me guys who among you doesn't love music, I bet all of us does! Though the genre differs from individual taste of choice, we can never deny the touching roles of music into our lives. Nowadays it is widely used in the medical scenario the...
 (Total 285 words)