General
Slideshow: Allergy myths and facts

Slideshow: Allergy myths and facts

Shared by:

BootsWebMD looks at some popular allergy myths and sets the record straight.

www.webmd.boots.com

28 Aug 2016 - General

Priscilla Mae Gobuyan: NSAIDs and Metformin actually. Well also Mefenamic acid as it is an NSAID. I discovered my NSAID allergy when I took Ibuprofen when I had a splitting headache this one time during medical school. Next thing I knew my face was as plump and as red as a tomato! I used Mefenamic acid back in high school as I was quite active and especially during Citizen's Army Training days I would do a lo...
 (Total 154 words)
Jennifer Winter Thanks for the tips doctor. Yes really, if the trigger is not there then there will be no more attacks. Too bad you're allergic to NSAIDs and Mefenamic Acid. So what kind of medications can relieve your pain instead? I hope not the higher dosages of pain killers nor other narcotics. You must have abused taking these over the counter pills doctor instantly. :) Whenever I have my dysmenorrhea, I...
 (Total 111 words)
I have heard from many people that honey would cure allergies so I started to scrutinize this more thinking that due to whatever pollen the bee may carry it would be found in the honey hence being a form of desensitization (like allergy shots). Though as stated, the pollen carried by the bees are most likely from colorful flowers which hardly ever cause allergies. Bee propolis although helps other conditions like decubitus ulcers. For rain washes allergens away, I would be immensely ecstatic dur...
 (Total 243 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Thanks for the advice sir. It's just a sudden change in my lifestyle and it's a little bit hard to accept the fact of having such condition. Whenever there's a sudden change of weather I easily get to have shortness of breath which is really bothering me. I just wish I can control my asthma attacks as soon as possible because working in the hospital will really predispose our health to ...
 (Total 79 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan Allergies are caused by the reaction of our immune system to perceived offending agents. It is stiill unclear as to why we develop allergies to substances that we were not previously allergic to. All is not lost because you can function as usual once asthma gets under control. There are now no limitations even with physical activity. Yes, you can still head to the gym, swim, play, or play badminton as long as there is adequate control of asthma. As for cure, you can visit a...
 (Total 113 words)
Mark Edmon Tan yay! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. There's really a lot of myths that need correction to the public nowadays. It's quite hard to correct it because people tend to believe it already for a long time ago. Is there any cure for having such allergies? Why is it that some allergies develop at a later stage and sometimes diminish, then after a few years erupt again? As before I ...
 (Total 129 words)
@Priscilla Mae Gobuyan That is absolutely true. The mainstay for treatment of allergies is to avoid the offending agent. I keep on telling patients that anti-histamines only cure the symptoms but not the allergic condition itself. Allergy can manifest in the skin and/or upper and lower airways and patients have to be aware of that too. As for your question about local practices, they say that eating chicken and eggs will make allergic conditions worse which is not true if you are not allergic to...
 (Total 106 words)
Myths vs facts with allergy. It's widely known that in layman term, having an allergy is a condition for rich people. Is that even true? Anyway most of the people are having allergies nowadays. Some may have it from childhood or it could be a late onset for others. As for me, I am allergic to dust and a sudden change in weather can easily trigger my asthma attacks. Having asthma is simply linked and in line as to having allergies. One remedy can also be knowing such allergens that may cause ...
 (Total 196 words)