General
Meet the 'space train' concept that can get to Mars in 2 days

Meet the 'space train' concept that can get to Mars in 2 days

Shared by:

Charles Bombardier, a Montreal-based innovator, has unveiled a concept for a hypothetical space train called Solar Express that can shuttle passengers and payloads between planets faster than any existing systems.

www.sciencealert.com

28 Aug 2016 - General

Theekshana Abayawickrama: "I can't wait to write 'Fit to travel to mars' in the patient summary! :D"- Something definitely to look forward to right there. How exciting! haha Yes that is true regarding the change of distance due to rotation, but either way if 18 days is the minimum double or triple that time wouldn't sound all too bad. Philleas Fogg did travel around the world in 80 days a...
 (Total 100 words)
Jennifer Winter Oh maybe you're right, you have a very valid argument there. But on the other hand, the distance between neptune and earth are not stable right. The two planets are on their individual orbits and I think at the farthest point, the two might be much farther than 4.7 billion kilometers. When they say the journey to neptune takes 18 days, they don't tell an exact point in time, so in reality ...
 (Total 105 words)
Mark Edmon Tan This is indeed science fiction unfolding much much earlier than we thought they would. And yeah, head, and also the thoracic and the abdominal visceral will have the most harmful effects of acceleration and deceleration. Internal organs can hardly take up sudden changes in momentum, and they tend to hit against the wall that they are protected by with such force that there can be complete laceratio...
 (Total 120 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama haha I thank you for inviting my genius math skills into this topic. Once again my mission has failed as I calculated 1000 years to get to Proxima b by using this Solar Express haha. When I read through the article this threw me off: "A trip to Neptune - the furthest planet from Earth - would take about 18 days." Earth to Neptune, according to my other very clever ability of bein...
 (Total 169 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama Yes and it would still be piping hot by the time I get back. This is science-fiction-unfolding-into-possiblity news for us. I agree with sudden and acceleration especially in the cranial region. It can induce traumatic brain injury in the form of contusions or diffuse axonal injury. There has to be a lot of preparation for a person to travel in outer space. Someday, we will be doing cleara...
 (Total 114 words)
Mark Edmon Tan You could take a trip to moon and back and the Ramen will be ready for dinner! :D Well about your concern of tolerating high speeds, I think it is not the speed that matters. It is the force of acceleration and deceleration that your body find difficult to handle. As long as you are stable at a certain velocity, you should be fine. Then comes the question, how can you accelerate to 3000 kilometers ...
 (Total 122 words)
Wow! A trip to the moon in 2.13 minutes. That is faster than cooking an instant ramen. The Solar Express has an interesting concept of not stopping once it has reached its highest speed. The ideas that are proposed are still vague right now but at least someone is starting a new concept for space travel. I wish they would start out something like that inside our own planet first. Certain questions come to my mind though when I read the article. Can someone tolerate travelling at a speed of 3,000...
 (Total 145 words)
Jennifer Winter Here I have brought you another opportunity to test your genius math skills. You can tell us how long it will take for us to reach the planet we discussed in a previous thread, Proxima b, if this space train becomes a reality in the near future. :D Let me have a go at it. If I'm right, the space train travels at 1 percent of the speed of light, so that means it would take 100 times the time it...
 (Total 105 words)
We live in a day when scientists are planning to build establishments on distant planets, Mars one project being one of the most discussed and planned to launch in the near future. Space travel is the next challenge that comes with building civilizations far from planet earth. Well, it won't be for too long. With this concept of space train, it will be possible to travel to mars in a matter of just two days. That is cutting the time it takes for this journey with current technology by 260 da...
 (Total 109 words)