General
This crazy new virus just broke the rules of infection

This crazy new virus just broke the rules of infection

Shared by:

A new type of virus has been identified, and it’s so weird, it's challenging long-held notions of what it takes for a virus to infect and proliferate in an animal host.

www.sciencealert.com

28 Aug 2016 - General

Theekshana Abayawickrama there will be endless excuses they could draw from the book to explain why they keep deadly viruses. Once we eradicate polio you'll be sure to find that there as well. These emerging infections of course can also be explained by natural phenomena but there are many times when it occurs at such a "convenient" time that we can't just say it is a coincidence. These diseases ...
 (Total 114 words)
Jennifer Winter Yeah totally. Why on earth would any sane person want to 'safely' store a deadly virus. To study later? For what purpose. It only increases the chance of it escaping and causing the disease again, that was eradicated from earth with so much effort. I feel the same way about the emerging viral infections. SARS came, the majority who were affected was not from those top countries. Then after...
 (Total 117 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama Oh we are so on the same brain wave. I was going to mention in my first comment that at first I thought these scientists were creating some super virus for biological warfare purposes but decided to change my comment. Smallpox is "safely" stored in those countries for "research". I am sure biological warfare is being used but it is just one of those things that they do ...
 (Total 129 words)
Jennifer Winter I agree. It is the scientists who do research to prevent these type of viruses becoming epidemics. But in my opinion, scientists are also responsible for the development of organisms like this with super-virus capabilities. Call me a conspiracy theorists, but I do believe that top countries in the world who spend millions of dollars on military research actually try to develop these kind of deadly...
 (Total 114 words)
Zombie apocalypse :D Theekshana Abayawickrama we are very much on the same brainwave here. It is very fortunate that Guaico Culex isn't capable of infecting mammals, now please stay that way and don't evolve! Viruses are very scary microorganisms indeed and it is good that groups of scientists, like that of the team of virologist Gustavo Palacios, are getting on top of this to prevent any epidemics or even...
 (Total 90 words)
This gets really scary! Viruses are among the most unpredictable microorganisms, since they seem to evolve constantly and at a very rapid pace! What's alarming too is that the virus segments readily stick to the host, until finally a lot of the components get to infect the host. It's a good thing though, that scientists are able to study such viruses as early as now to anticipate any new viruses that are pathogenic to humans. Along with these discoveries, hopefully, scientists are able t...
 (Total 109 words)
This is a somewhat alarming discovery by scientists. One virus is severe enough to cause systemic weakness. Now, they discovered that 5 different components of different viruses can meet and clump together to become one single virus. It could be the next course of viral mutation. Maybe this virus could really cause debilitating symptoms. Since it has already been found in mosquitoes, it could potentially cause infection to animals. Then, who knows how it might mutate. The only positive thing tho...
 (Total 105 words)
Talk about the zombie apocalypse! Here we have a new type of virus, that is even closer to being the super virus that wipes off humanity from the face of the earth. Until recently it was thought that infection of host cells via viruses requires the whole of the virus genome to be injected into the cell. But this new type of virus is able to infect the host cells even after the genome has been sliced to pieces. It means that the virus is more resistant to treatment, and has a high infective rate....
 (Total 108 words)