General
8 unbelievable yet real bizarre medical conditions

8 unbelievable yet real bizarre medical conditions

Shared by:

Ever thought that the characters you see in superhero or fantasy movies are purely fiction? Think again. There are around 7,000 types of rare diseases and disorders that resemble such characters and have had devastating impacts on people's lives. Here are eight bizarre medical conditions that will make you question if it was written for the next blockbuster movie.

today.mims.com

28 Aug 2016 - General

Mark Edmon Tan No, I have never seen a case of alien hand. Actually this is the first time I am hearing it. There can be muscular dysregulation in some parts of the body due to various central neurological system pathologies, which can give rise to involuntary jerks and contractions. But the way the disorder is described in some medical literature is really terrifying. This is quoted from wikipedia. "The aff...
 (Total 110 words)
Theekshana Abayawickrama That is absolutely true! We have had the Alice in Wonderland Syndrome since we entered medical school and persisted throughout our medical career. :D I thought we will be able to outgrow it :)) Oh yes, who can forget the pictures of fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva and the contortions of the bones and body of patients with this condition. I have personally not seen alien hand syndrom...
 (Total 113 words)
Lianne Marie Victoria Laruan Indeed! It seems fictional but they were really coined by crafty minds. Shaving would be such a chore for these people because their entire body is covered with hair. I think laser therapy might help them long-term because it disrupts hair follicle and root to prevent hair growth. I have transient walking corpse syndrome whenever I am from a 32-hour shift haha. Vampire syndrome is also...
 (Total 120 words)
I was always wondering where the 8th one was, and then I saw your comment. Anyway, just 7 of these conditions are strange and bizarre enough. I agree about you relating Alice in Wonderland Syndrome to resident physicians. It also applies for medical students. When your consultant asks you a question, and you don't know what to say, like a natural reaction we feel ourselves shrinking, then we tell ourselves, please don't see me please don't see me! :D About the stone man syndrome, alt...
 (Total 123 words)
Woah, these conditions seem to have very catchy names, haha! Human werewolf syndrome caught my attention especially just after reading a fiction book on boys turning into wolves. Turns out maybe they just need to shave more? :) I have heard about drugs used to help hair grow, but not drugs that stop hair growth. Walking corpse syndrome seems quite creepy too, but I guess all health care workers have experienced this even after graveyard shifts hahaha! Seriously though, even if such diseases are ...
 (Total 98 words)
Disclaimer: The title should have stated 7 unbelievable yet real bizarre medical conditions as there were only 7 featured. Alice in Wonderland syndrome (AIWS) really caught my attention. I think trasient AIWS happens to the resident physicians during hospital rounds and conferences with the consultants. We grow in size when we know we are able to answer questions and shrink in size when a question stumps us haha Walking Corpse Syndrome also is applicable to the physicians because that is how we...
 (Total 107 words)