General
Can a doctor legally disclose a patient’s HIV status without their consent?

Can a doctor legally disclose a patient’s HIV status without their consent?

Shared by:

A fundamental tenet of medical practice that secures the doctor-patient relationship is patient confidentiality. The respect for patients' confidentiality is both a moral and legal duty that doctors owe to their patients. However, HIV has put absolute confidentiality to the test.

today.mims.com

28 Aug 2016 - General

Priscilla Mae Gobuyan I think that is top region across the Philippines in terms of reported cases. Great job is done by the healthcare professionals in your region to convince suspected patients to be tested. We do not have the same luxury as yours when it comes to having compliant patients. Well, most of the IV drugs are available for (gasp) 20 to 50 Philippine pesos (roughly 1 USD). The syringes cost more than...
 (Total 127 words)
Mark Edmon Tan Yes sad to say but I need to claim that I live in the City where the most of HIV rates is in. Yes maybe with the good documentation in the region has made it as the top region across the Philippines. What type of drugs tend to be unbelievably affordable in Region 7. That sound a little bit of interesting. Tourists has also gone way up compared through the years in our place and of course, a lot of ...
 (Total 143 words)
I still remember how difficult it was to reveal someone's sexual history in history taking when I was a medical student. I had to make a good rapport with the particular person to reveal it because gaining the sexual history implies peering into someone's personal life. So the information I gather should be secured where as confidentiality and privacy should be assured. So my opinion is you can reveal someones personal information to a stranger only it will help to treat that particular ...
 (Total 115 words)
According to PopCom, as of June 2016 there are 841 new cases and 90% of which were sexually transmitted here in the Philippines. I would think that the highest rate would be sexually transmitted as compared to substance abuse seeing as injectable drugs are more expensive. Smoke, drank and sniffed are the cheaper alternatives which wouldn't directly contribute to HIV transmission (but indirectly as they forget to practice safe sex). So far those in this forum are in the same boat so I have no...
 (Total 104 words)
Priscilla Mae Gobuyan Fortunately, our hospital does not have a documented case yet probably because we serve the elderly population. It is interesting to know that Region 6 has the most number of documented cases. Maybe this is partly due to the good documentation in the area. I thought it was Region 7 as the reported recreational use of substances of abuse was high in the area. It became a concern for the healt...
 (Total 163 words)
yay! I guess the city where I am living, Region 6 is the top most region who had the most number of documented case of HIV. I am not sure if the victims itself are really growing in the place or it has something to do with the documentation. I mean it could also be that the region is good at documenting such cases in the area. As I can encounter in our unit, I get to encounter at least 1 patient who is a victim or is suspected to have HIV. The wellness of other being connected to the carrier of ...
 (Total 177 words)
Can we really disclose a patient's HIV status without their consent? From the primary visit, technically it is a no. However, we must make them aware that HIV cases should be reported to the national health department to prevent further spread of the illness. In our country, doctors are mandated to report new cases of HIV with the patient being informed. Another common ground for all doctors to break confidentiality is if the patient refuses treatment and puts his/her partner at risk for inf...
 (Total 124 words)